• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tm for paint and body work

jarrettpcfr

I have been getting rid of surface rust on my m1028 with a electric drill and a paint stripping pad (looks like a black sponge). The rust on mine was bad, looks like dirt seeping through the paint. I was wanting to know if anyone knew of the tm for paint and body work. I recently bought olive drab paint by ppg, i did not want to use carc because of the health hazards. Do have to get rid of all the carc paint or can i just sand it down and give it 2 coats of paint. Ive done alot of work to mine, new rear main, oil pan gasket, rebuilt trans (case was busted when i got it from GL and drive shaft was bent), retubed drive shaft, intake gaskets, glow plugs, put bed liner on floor board, all new rubber lines everywhere, all new door weather strips. Ive got all the paint equipment. Thanks for any input.

Mike_L

There is a TM for "Common Metal and Wood Repair" that covers sheet metal repairs. It doesn't go into much detail other than on how to use hammer and dolly techniques. The TM number is 9-270. If you do a google search, you should be able to find a copy. There is a TB on Bondo (epoxy body filler) also, TB 9-2300-258-30 which is on the Army's ETM site.

As for painting, I found a reference for one in the 9-270 manual but never went looking for it; TM 9-213. There are TB 43-0209 and TM 43-0139 that cover painting and techniques that are also on the Army's ETM site.

Scarecrow1

Let me state the fact that I am not an expert by any means ....but if the paint isn't pealing or flacking off I just sand prime and paint over it .....It works for me ......It's not for the show car effect but it works for the old green guys