• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TM/info for alternator bearing maintenance??

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
after a bit of searching TM 92320-272-10 and site and no luck on info on alternator rebuilding (i'm sure its been covered somewhere). here's my question - i pulled my alternator (M936A1), to replace the voltage regulator, no problem, but while it was off i figured i check/grease the bearings. got to the front bearings again no issues, but the back bearing, it appears you have to remove the brush housing first, and my field wires are soldered on their pins in the brush housing with no slack (i was afraid to tug or pull on them) to allow the housing to be moved to allow access to the rear bearing. is there a trick to this??? i am missing something??? or do you really have to de-solder the wires from the pins?

sure would like to put some fresh grease in there.

thanks

74M35A2

Sorry, I don’t have the answer, but if the rear bearing is the only portion you can’t easily reach, its load is nearly zero, compared to the belt tension on the front bearing, hence why it is larger.

The 20 years I have been in the automotive high current field, I have never seen an alternator rear bearing failure. You’re doing a great job by wanting to give everything attention while in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks