• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TN Deuce registration

steelridingscum

hello everyone.... i just bought my first m35a2 from a farmer in middle tn...the farmer told me that to register the duece all he had to do was go to the dmv with a bill of sale and a rubbing of the numbers on the frame.. i dont know where he got the truck from or what he used it for but he had about 5 m35s.. i live in chattanooga tn and unfortunately im all too familiar with the "fat ladies" at the dmv..my question is how do i obtain a sf97 ? considering i didnt purchase the lot and dont have a invoice.. how do i go about getting a title without a sf97? how about registration companies do they work? how much do they run? any good website companies?

secondly i use allstate insurace and they told me today they wouldnt insure the duece due to the fact it has 10 tires.. i have no idea what 10 tires has to do with insurance.. what insurance companies are people using.. i am going to be using this truck as my daily driver probably less than 10,000 miles a year

thanks and sorry for upsetting everyone with stupid posts
beau

Ronbo

Dont know about the 97 form. shouldnt be too hard to get.. and I use State farm in Dunlap. Jim Garren Ins ...no problems

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'm in Tn, I've used Nationwide (expensive) and JC Taylor (cheap, but not for everyday use, and must be garaged).

I think that doing as the farmer suggests requires the posting of a title bond.

I dunno about getting a SF-97. How long ago did he buy them? If I were uncle sam, I'd sure not be willing to issue a SF-97 to anyone other then the party that bought the vehicle - and I'd only be willing to do this for a short period of time. (else you could ask for a SF97 on my truck, or the farmer could sell you his truck, then go back and get the 97 and have legal proof it was HIS truck.)

Regards,
David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you'll never get a sf97. I've had several people tell me that deal in alot of vehicles that you can get a title in TN with a bill of sale if the truck is over 25 years old. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know for sure. I do know the head of the DMV in my county can be hard to deal with and I've had to go over his head to the state before and throw the state law in his face to get him to comply with state law.

I've got my ins. with Farm Bureau. I think it cost me about $300 a year for my M715 and my M35A2C.

davidkroberts

Im in tenn and use State Farm ins for my MV's.

If a title was never issued for the vehicle you can bring in the bill of sale and the state will issue a title for you. I had to do it with my Gama Goat and my Unimog both. The Unimog was even imported from Switzerland and they didnt make a big deal of it. Easiest thing in the world and not as hard as you may think.:-D

steelridingscum

questions

well i called state farm in dunlap and they didnt know what a m35a2 duece was i gave the lady all the numbers off of the bill of sale and explained. that it was a ex military vehicle.. and that i had been refered by a few others who used state farm. she called me back and told me that i needed to provide a picture so they could send it to the underwriters and see if anyone would insure it.. i also called jc taylor about insuring it which seems to be a worthless insurance company. on the phone the lady told me that it would only be insured as a parade truck and if i was involved in an accident with contents in the bed i would be in violation of the policy... basically she told me it was antique car insurance for show pieces in museums and could be driven very occacionally.. so this company seems sketchy at best.... i willl be hopefully driving this truck 5000miles or so a year so i need acutal insurance and as scary as the airbrakes can be on these things i dont want to skimp... so if any of you guys who are using the statefarm in dunlap could give my your name so i could use it as a policy reference i would appreciate it.... i just dont think they understand what kind of truck it is.. im going to go to the dmv and try and get it registered but i know this will be a headache... in chattanooga they are really tough about registration...they are probably going to tell me to have it appraised at a car dealership and inspected...thanks for everyones help
cant wait to get this thing on the road

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've been using JC Taylor for years (as have countless other folks) - as I said, its a policy for occasional use = I should have said as a historical vehicle. They are far from the fly-by night insurance company as you imply - they just don't offer the kind of policy you need.

If you are telling these insurance companies the deuce has air brakes you are doing yourself a huge disservice. You are raising red flags with them over an issue that simply is not true, the truck does not have air brakes. It has power brakes. With the insurance company leave it at that. For your own knowledge, it has a power brake system with the power assist provided by air, whereas most vehicles have the power assist provided by vacuum.

You should give the brake system a VERY thorough going over, as it is a single circuit system, and any failure results in a NO brakes situation.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Ronbo

HUH? I had mine insured with them for over a year No Probs. and just got my new one.. Want me to call ther for ya? I ned to put mine on anyhow.. I dont remember what I paid but it was real inexpensive.. Hey once set up and leagl lets meet at Hooters!!:)

steelridingscum

thanks ronbo i called state farm and a few others but for now i am insured as of today with progressive around $550 a year it seems expensive but ill shop around for the next six months... i dont know how im going to get the title for this truck but im going to work on that next week. sounds fun to meet up sometime i have a shop here in chattanooga off
dodson ave come by

Ronbo

Drop me a message with some contact info.. I usually ride my bike ( Hayabusa)down that way. I'll stop in... Me

TaylorTradingCo

Ronbo,

I live in Ringgold, about 10 miles south of Chattanooga. I just bought nine Deuces and about two dozen trailers. Come by and see me sometime.

Derek Taylor

davidkroberts

my insurance with State Farm is averaging about 20 dollars a month per vehicle. I really like state farm though and i have a good agent. Glad things have worked out for you anyway. Being your from the middle tn area anyway, have you ever wheeled up in the Windrock Offroad area near Oak Ridge. Ive been planning a trip for awhile and was wanting to know how it was.

steelridingscum

killa

hey dereck give me your number i would love to come by and see what youve got down there in ringold. are you selling parts? ive been driving my duece as my daily driver now for two weeks. ive got a shop on dodson ave in east chattanooga if you are in the area come by.
as far as windrock goes ive never been but many of my buddies go a couple times a year. there more into built rockcrawlers and buggies.. windrock is supposed to be pretty hardcore. i dont know if it would be fun for a duece. i think you would need something smaller and much more powerful

beau 423 544 5375

2700 dodson ave
chattanooga tn

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I had contacted my State Farm agent about full coverage insurance for a deuce, they said no problem as a daily driver but, liability only. I wanted full coverage! aua

TaylorTradingCo

Mr. Scum,

Derek Taylor
706-935-8665

I can't leave the office much because I run a business. My dad works on Holtzclaw at Tuftco just down the road from you.

Give me a call if you want to come by sometime. Yes, I do have several Deuces I am parting out and lots of trailers and parts.

Derek