• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TN ivbeenrokd's crew cab underway

ivbeenrokd

It definitely helps. I remember putting the modified HEMTTs and 46s on my first deuce years ago with snow on the ground. We had a huge tarp over the truck in a lean-to fashion with lights and heaters under it. It was still terrible working conditions and horrible to try to get those beads to seat with that cold weather and no bead locks. Still good memories but I'm thankful to have somewhere big enough to work now.

Looking great so far. I wish I had a shop to work in. I'm jelly!

[NOTE: For those chronologically challenged individuals (aka old farts) jelly = short form of jealous.]

wilfreeman

Keep the pictures coming! We are just slightly behind you on our bobber, and are planning a crew cab for our next project - really enjoying this thread!

wilfreeman

I haven't decided whether I want to start one or not. I am doing a blog about the truck, and that takes up enough time itself. The work is being done at my brother's body shop. They (we) got the cab and front end torn down today. They were supposed to be getting the bed loose after I left at lunch and starting to sand and sandblast the parts we removed. They are hoping to be cutting the rear suspension loose next week. Hoping to be finished with the major work before New Years. I guess that depends on how busy the shop is though - it is full now. Luckily, he has a dedicated guy doing the tearing down, blasting and priming.

ivbeenrokd

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385599599.314310.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385599612.244663.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385599634.195257.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385599643.211832.jpg
We made some progress today on the rear suspension. My custom upside down drillpress made the holes in the bottom of the frame much easier to drill. Looks like I probably need to get some new u-bolts for the rear end, The ones I have are too rusty. Does anyone know where I can get those?

Question, others who have done a Bob job: Do you weld the perches to the axle? I'm not really sure what to do with them since they are cast.

XchaosX

I know some guys have had luck with suspension shops bending new u bolts. I just replaced my trunnion and my u bolts were also too rusted. I brought them into a local large truck shop and they were able to order new ones for me.

What size bolts did you order for the deuce axles, they have awesome prices on that website. I'm going to be using a m105 trailer but I don't know what size bolts to order.

ivbeenrokd

I had mine made at a local shop in town. It took around 5 minutes! :)

They are 3/4" diameter, 2 and 9/16 wide between them, and a total of 14" long.

I don't have my 105 here with me right now so I'm not sure if you'd need a different width or length with those springs or not.

ivbeenrokd

I didn't get as much progress made this week as I hoped, but we did get the front end apart, the rear driveline hanking by bungee cords, and the brakes put together on the rear. However, the rear brake situation is causing a problem. See my other thread if interested.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386369573.901673.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386369584.368565.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386369595.802189.jpg

ivbeenrokd

We worked again today with a little more progress. Got the final front spring hanger off, front perches flipped (hoping this will make the steering return to center with the air assist), sold the other deuce I had for sale, got the rear drums/hubs installed, adjusted the rear brakes, finished the rear shock mounts on the axle, installed the remaining shock mounts on the frame, removed the rear spring perches to have them milled for a smaller angle, and cleaned up in general.

We'll see what happens but I'm really hoping to have it on the road by Christmas. However, I need to find 2 more 1400 XZLs before then and I need to sell some parts to fund the 2nd phase of the project.

Last edited:

ivbeenrokd

Finished painting the front end, painted rear frame and suspension, installed steering arm, mounted tires, installed front bumper step, drove it. It drives different now with one less axle, lower weight, and the addition of the air assist. Pulls a little to the right under braking so I need to make some adjustment on the front brakes. I also can't steer far enough right even with the drag link as long as I'm comfortable running it, but I'm discussing that in a couple of other threads hoping to find the issue and solution. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388620222.813999.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388620245.864381.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388620263.297913.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388620273.847281.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388620288.464917.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks