• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TN license plate question

Smokinyoda

This is directed to TN residents, how do you register your trucks? The regular private passenger motor vehicles tag states for "cars, station wagons, vans or pick-up trucks up to ¾ ton rating and 9000 pounds and under in weight."
With my M35a2 I am definately over the 3/4 ton rating and 9000 pound limit.

They also offer an Antique auto plate with these stipulations: "A motor vehicle registered as an antique solely as a collector's item can only be used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses; and which may be used for general transportation only on Saturday and Sunday."
Kind of worried about the Sat and Sun only part.

So what kind of plates do most of you use? I have no CDL so want to avoid anything commercial.

Alredneck

Banned
TN Antique plates, im always either doing a maintnence run or my vejicle is a rolling exhibit. So far no problems from LEOs . Well we dont have to display a tag either but have it on you when asked to show it. But once shown they leave me alone and no probs!

onegmjack

The DMV seen the weight on the SF97,asked me if I wanted a regular tag.I said yes if I can have one.She asked is it closer to a RV or a pickup,before I could say anything she said we always write them up as pickups.The lady signed her name to the paper she gave me,if I get pulled over I will tell them what she told me.Without tarp and bows it is a large pickup.I did tell her it was a 2 1/2 ton Deuce,that it had ten wheels.So I don't think I was trying to decieve or out and out lie to them.I have been a little leary posting about it if someone want to cause trouble,in my area will just cause use all problem.I know most of the law enforment officers in my area.They know I believe in doing want is legal.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also run farm tags. This allows you to do more legally than you can with antique tags. Cops don't bother farmers as much as they do other people so that's a plus also.

I do own a farm and use the deuce for farm use but you don't have to accually own a farm to run them (atleast they don't ask when you get tags).

Smokinyoda

I didnt see farm tags listed on the TN website. I own 10 acres, a tractor, and a bushog so guess I could be a farmer.:mrgreen:

Will definately check into them. If not antique should work. Every trip could be a maint run, just may be hard explaining a load of wood in the back!:oops:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this.

TN uses a J tag. Joint farm/limited personal use tags for anything over 9000lbs. You pay a tax based on what weight class you want to be in as there is a chart for it and it costs a good bit. Regular TN tags are good for up to 9000lbs. Antique tags do not have a weight limit restriction that I am aware of.

Currently TN has passed a law that historic military vehicles are not required to display tags but are allowed to keep them in their trucks.

http://www.bprlicenseplates.com/Tennessee - joint farm limited private truck.htm

Last edited:

russojap

I will bump this.

TN uses a J tag. Joint farm/limited personal use tags for anything over 9000lbs. You pay a tax based on what weight class you want to be in as there is a chart for it and it costs a good bit. Regular TN tags are good for up to 9000lbs. Antique tags do not have a weight limit restriction that I am aware of.

Currently TN has passed a law that historic military vehicles are not required to display tags but are allowed to keep them in their trucks.

http://www.bprlicenseplates.com/Tennessee - joint farm limited private truck.htm
I'm a little confused, I have a regular TN tag on the deuce, is that the wrong tag? Actually I've always kept the tag in the glove box, there was nowhere to mount it and I thought it would look dumb with a license plate anyhow. I've never had any issues though. However I've driven the truck very rarely, and not at all in at least five years.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm a little confused, I have a regular TN tag on the deuce, is that the wrong tag? Actually I've always kept the tag in the glove box, there was nowhere to mount it and I thought it would look dumb with a license plate anyhow. I've never had any issues though. However I've driven the truck very rarely, and not at all in at least five years.
Yes. Standard TN tags are only good to 9000lbs. After that it is a J tag. I have yet to see any legislation or writing in general that states that 9000lb limit. Just what THP will tell you. Yet i have seen RVs with the standard TN tag on it as well. I have never kept a tag displayed on any of my trucks anyway

russojap

I will bump this.

I'm a little confused, I have a regular TN tag on the deuce, is that the wrong tag?
I've always kept the tag in the glove box anyhow, there was nowhere to mount it and I thought it would look dumb with a license plate. Never had any issues but very rarely drove the truck, and haven't in over five years.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always kept the tag in the glove box anyhow, there was nowhere to mount it and I thought it would look dumb with a license plate.
My plate is mounted on the rear mud flap splash guard just below the frame, driver side (though I don't think that would matter). Front plates are required in my state, but I've never bothered with a front plate and have never been stopped for it - and I drive this thing a thousand miles+/year.

StrykerPerry

Tennessee you need a j series tag. It also has to be mounted to the front. I'm also not sure on antique tags. My county said I can't have one on mine. J is for personal or farm use. No CDL needed for deuce due to weight I run a 26000# j series tag. I zip tie it to the grill bars below a headlight.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tennessee you need a j series tag. It also has to be mounted to the front. I'm also not sure on antique tags. My county said I can't have one on mine. J is for personal or farm use. No CDL needed for deuce due to weight I run a 26000# j series tag. I zip tie it to the grill bars below a headlight.
You do not have to display the J tag on the truck in Tennessee anymore. It can be in the glove box.

You don't need a CDL in TN for personal stuff up to 80,000lbs with or without air brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks