• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To bid or to buy, that is the genset question.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roger the fuel i$$ue! Just did a back of the enevlope re a 15kw at ~.66 gal/hr for 4 days and change. Works out to about a 600-mile drive in the deuce; $260-270.

MarcusOReallyus

My primary goal is reliable house power during an outage, ideally running at least one central ac unit, and PERHAPS running 3-ph machines during non-outage times [assuming I get the workshop built]. Spoke with an electrician working on a natural gas 15kw [40a/240v output] set across the street the other day. Said he would not put anything smaller than about 25 kw at his house, but he's thinking non-mil sets.

If you've got money to burn, 25kW would sure be nice.

But realistically, 15 kW should handle all your needs for a week or so of power outage.

If you want to run everything in the house just as if there were no power emergency, you'll probably need more. You'll have to start doing some calculating and measuring to find out just how much you need.

If your utility company uses smart meters, they may be able to tell you what your demand is by the hour.

Now, if you want to run that 50 foot combination anti-zombie electric fence, ICBM missile-destroying laser, and instant can opener, you shoulda bought one of those 2 MEGAWATT units that were sold by GL at Ft. Meade a week or two ago. They only went for about 5 grand each. Chicken feed!

I'm guessing it would take that much in fuel to run one for a day!

:mrgreen:

(Am I going to get whacked for the zombie comment?) :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks