• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To camo or not to camo?

Taz

Hello all,
It is time to sell my trusty M1008 that has been my daily driver for about five years. Lots of extras, Banks turbo, 700r4, etc, etc. Anyways, in gettting it in top shape to sell I plan on repainting it since it has a little surface rust on the driver's door. My question is paint it over all green and leave it or go further and camo it? I would of course like to get as much back as I can. Any advise? Thanks, Gary

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camo. My two cents. Just looks better than all one color, plus when there are several colors, you don't see the small imperfections as much.

rizzo

Re: RE: To camo or not to camo?

mangus580 said:
Keep in mind... that if you paint it solid, its real easy for the buyer to camo it if they prefer.....

I like Camo, but this is great advice. I would do it green

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: To camo or not to camo?

I'll have to say 3 color camo as well. While I like the look of plain 383 on some trucks, on some (like the CUCVs) it just looks unfinished.

Taz

Thanks for the opinions guys, it looks lik camo it will be. I had my 1009 over all green for a while and ended up camo-ing it and I like it and my 1031 is also camo. I sold another 1031 that was just green and no one really seemed to care one way or another, but I wonder if it got gutted for the axles and PTO 205. We did a 1008 in tan a while back and when I see it, it looks like a faded tan chevy truck!
Cheers,
Gary

Croatan_Kid

Not to rob the post from you or anything, but I would like to ask a few questions about your truck, seeing as it was your daily driver. What size tires are you running? "Stock" 4.56 gears? With the combination of tires, gears, turbo, and trans, what kind of milage could you get from it city or highway? Also, how fast could you run down the highway? I'm curious because I'll soon be running 35s with the 4.56s and a built 700R4 and eventually adding a turbo.

Oh, and I'll be the....whatever number......to say CAMO!

It took me a while to decide myself, but camo has more advantage over plain OD green. Looks cooler, people notice it more, it's something to talk about, not very common, and well, it's camo! :D

Armada

If that's a recent picture of it, I'd leave the paint the way it is, it looks great. BUT, if you must repaint it, my vote is 24087. :)

Alredneck

Banned
Greens the color of money
Camo kicks butt
My personal favorite is multi-colored desert
But when i get my duece here from Va. its stays as it lays.

By the way i got a 04 dodge 2500 i wanna do in the new army acu digital pattern anybody got ideas i think it would be cool on a duece to but take forever.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a desert color guy, but, I have to agree, the 3 color woodland looks better on a CUCV than all tan :roll: . I say keep it like it is.

littlebob

The great thing about the three color camo is you could just paint the sections that needed painting. The flat paint should be easy to do because you're not trying tom match another panel and they're differen't colors. I helped some friends paint some Mutts they aquired a dozen years ago and we painted some solid and
others camo. We started by painting them one color and then added camo, which meant a lot more work. No matter how you did it, the camo would take more time and money. If I wasn't going to keep it I would have to justify the cost and time into dollars and I don't know how to do that. The Mutts we did they were charging for the camo.
littlebob

Taz

Croatan_Kid said:
Not to rob the post from you or anything, but I would like to ask a few questions about your truck, seeing as it was your daily driver. What size tires are you running? "Stock" 4.56 gears? With the combination of tires, gears, turbo, and trans, what kind of milage could you get from it city or highway? Also, how fast could you run down the highway? I'm curious because I'll soon be running 35s with the 4.56s and a built 700R4 and eventually adding a turbo.

This picture is several years old. It needs freshened up now. Anyways the combination currently is 255/85r16's, 4.56's. It likes to run 82 mph on the road and usually gets around 16-17 mpg. If I keep it under 65, the best it has every gotten was 20-ish. Back and forth to work is around 15mpg. Not bad for a 6000 lb truck.
With the 700r4, be sure to change the sleeve in the valve body to allow close to full throttle in forth gear. I think it is on the 3-4 shift valve. With out this it is possible to be going like 80, give it some throttle and the trans will downshift into 3rd which is above the governor speed of the engine. This can't be good on things! Also, make sure you have the torque convertor lockup working. I have mine on a toggle switch which allows me to lock the convertor in third if I am pulling a hill or something and can't keep it in forth, it gives you almost another gear. The turbo helped big time as far as power. Good luck with yours