• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To CTIS or not to CTIS

Should our city get the CTIS working on our M35A3?

• Get it working!

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Leave it disconnected!

Votes: 34 54.0%

• Total voters

Skycop

I am going to attempt to post a poll about whether or not to use the CTIS on our M35A3. As posted in a previous thread, our city just acquired the new(er) truck with the CTIS not functional. I like the idea and our primary use will not be for off-roading but for road use and for high water rescues (we also may use it to breach gates and stuff for SWAT Raids, but that is just a bonus :lol:

So, please give me the skinny on your personal experiences as to the pros and cons of CTIS and if it is worth it for us to check this unit to get it working again.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When up and working as it should it might have been a great addition.
I am in the middle of a front end milk job that sat for 5 months on the bearings.
The first or out side O ring was dammage and the inner was intacked.
Memphis said no on the bearings and I have not called around to find them. I am going to change bearings and cup back to old stuff and be done with it in the front end. When I do the rears I will change them back to.
I will just add/fill the 6 with air hose from truck if I need to.

My $.02 no CTIS system for me.

wb1895

Mt experience with CTIS has been with just a few vehicles. My honest opinion is if you are just going to use it for on road stuff and breaching doors, I say leave it disconnected and let it be. It is not worth the time, effort and money to keep it working.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have ZERO experience, and may change my opinion in the future, but.....

The concept of having adjustable tire pressures compels me to vote yes, retain the system.

I live in a rural area an hour from pavement roads and access to services. The constant airing up and down of large tires in order to drive to and from town has me taking a "pro" CTIS position!

Rick

Skycop

I think we are going to move the CTIS to the end of the list (which isn't to long) but will end up looking at getting it working in the near future. I will keep everyone posted with the status as well as photos of what we find and/or do. ;)

Nonotagain

A couple of things to consider about hooking the CTIS back up.

The engine mounted air compressor takes forever to re-air the tires from 30 to 85 psi. If the compressor were larger it would help, but its not.

The cost of the CTIS parts far out weighs the benefits for typical street/un-improved road use.

Parts are difficult to obtain.

Just about every A3 truck that I have looked at had CTIS issues as evidenced by one or more tires being flat or severely needing air.

The second or third generation CTIS systems are much better, but the system on the A3 is better left un-hooked.

The last issue is that the CTIS covers are a pain in the butt to remove and replace during tire service. Plus when you remove the covers, you can dump the wheel weights, and the associated CTIS valves which make tire balancing easier.

Skycop

Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind. If/when I disable the system and remove the CTIS plates and such, what all is needed to remove to get the wheel semi-balanced before I take it to the shop?

wehring

Danger...

I just had this conversation with one of the guys at the Military Museum of Texas. They had a CTIS failure that resulted in a blown tire! One of their 5 tons with 1400s received too much pressure from the fault.

I am just east of you near houston. I have a spare rear CTIS A3 axle. CAll is you need a test bed to learn on.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

oldMan99

And old thread but it has some useful info as pertains to this question:

Is is possible/feasible to install CTIS on a truck that never hand it? Either a military or civilian system??

I am guessing the answer is no, but if it is something within the realm of feasibility I would be interested in investigating further.

Thanks...

Also, just wondering if the OP ever attempted to revive his CTIS and if so, was it worth the effort?

AceHigh

I replaced the manifold and console with new old stock and got her working, sort of. :roll:

On a 20 minute trip it does its job fine, slower or less time it does not fill up completely and I am not happy. Also the next day it often lets a random tire deflate. Overall, I like the trucks complete so I am inclined to keep fine tuning...

Heavysteven

If the tuck was for personnel use I would say "yes keep it working".

If it's for work or police use I say "no" because the last thing you want is a flat. Truck needs to be always ready.

renovate7

I believe that if the vehicle wasn't designed for it you can't add it.
You have to have the ability to get air thru a rotating hub. If the vehicle had it , it can probably be reinstalled. Many of the concrete trucks here in Cental Florida have it, they spend a lot of time in soft sand on job sites...When my A3 arrived my 2 back tires went flat within 5 minutes of parking it in the driveway. I removed the air line from the hub to the valve on each wheel to disconnect it. All the hardware is still there and it can easily be reconnected. I like the original look and kept the valves and shields installed.

cxcman

Ok ... I have never worked on this system so I asked my brother who was a army grease monkey for meany years ; he told me in his time there they where allways went out every time the trucks went through mud and such and if he would to have one on his personal truck he would take it off or disable it and put shredder valves in and leave them there ad decoration

mktopside

Banned
Mine works great on my A3. I just make sure to turn it off everyday before turning the truck off.

I don't think it is a perfect system, but it works just fine and fills all the tires to where the should be within 5 min of driving.

I think a lot of the CTIS hate around here is from people that have never had the pleasure of having a truck where it works great. I'm sure if it was broken on my truck I would just see it as a hassle as well.

MATT

In your situation and like ours, you are better off disconnecting it and removing it. It takes some work but is worth it.

If you are like our departments these trucks don't get driven everyday, everyweek or sometimes every month like they should. You likely to have flat tires when you get dispatched, not a good thing.

Oh, and purchase at least a couple of the large wheel o-rings that seal the rim. Any one od the military parts supplier on here should have them. If you have a tire repair or a leak, the tire guy should install a new o-ring. Chances are they won't have them on hand!

Silverback

I have 7 trucks with CTIS, that will soon change to 3. Great idea, just not with the system that they used at the time. I'm tired of chasing down leaks, playing with modulators and such. Hopefully I won't have too many problems with the 3 that work correctly, if so I will have 7 trucks that used to have CTIS. Dan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks