• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To deuce or not to deuce?

Texan4Life

Hey guys great forum you have here :D

This winter I'm going to be in the market for a truck. Originally I was looking at getting a ram diesel, but now I'm leaning toward a deuce.

It would be a deuce that would earn it keep. Occasionally hauling gravel and farm equipment, along with other ranch and farm work. That's why I wanted a ram 2500, but I could most likely get a deuce for what a nice down payment on a used ram would be.

since I work away from home (truck driver) I don't put alot of miles on my vehicles so I'm learning toward a deuce as the best bang for the buck... and who could resist the cool factor? :)

I do all my own mechanic work so fixing a few things here on there wouldn't bother me. But since it would have to so some work, how much would a good solid unit to start out with cost about? IE not the kind of vehicle where you work on it for a day and then use it for half a day. lol

How is there reliability?
Are service manuals available?

I have more questions, but I will leave it at that for now :D

Thanks guys

bubba_got_you

most of these trucks(with the exception of the CUCV hehehe) where built to be reliable "beet the crap out of them and smile "trucks. I don’t think you will have a problem with a deuce.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggestion #1:
Dive into the manuals found in the RESOURCES section (above).

Suggestion #2:
READ, READ, READ.... there are MANY threads with all your answers.

Question....
Where in Texas are you?

BTW:
The west Texas Detachment of the Steel Soldiers welcomes you aboard:!: Find a bunk, stow your gear and prepare to get under way :driver: This site is SOOOO AWESOME :!::)

Carl_in_NH

Welcome.

Just about every service manual you could want are available free for downloading. These are called TMs (Technical Manuals), and cover everything from basic maintenance to rebuilding the drive train – and everything in-between.

Prices vary – whether you want to take a big chance on condition and get something just out from GL for the lowest price, or purchase something from a private owner; private owner will likely be twice as much as an unknown gamble – but you’ll likely be able to put it to work right away or at least know what you’ll have to repair to put it to work. I went through the same thing – and bought one of each.

They are good and reasonably reliable vehicles – but are 40 years old; how reliable it will be will depend on how it was cared for, and how much adverse elements (like salt) it has been exposed to over the years. I’ve had several small things go wrong that were easily addressed. They do require a little TLC and some maintenance to keep running smoothly – but at least the ones I’ve got don’t seem to require the same ratio of work to operation as a helicopter does J

I find them to be a great work truck ‘around the ranch’, and good value for the money invested relative to a clapped-out civilian pick-up – but so lacking in creature comfort that you’ll not likely be doing a lot of joy riding in one; that’s what more conventional vehicles are for. But for work and the occasional parade – nothing better.

Hope that helps.

Texan4Life

Thanks for the replies guys. Been reading up in the resources section... VERY nice BTW. That was the one major turn off to me about a deuce. Parts availability and service literature. If I have those 2 things I can keep anything running :) Nice to see a running list of parts cross references too.

The more I learn the better it seems... I just don't know if I could drop 20k on a used dodge when a deuce would do the same job. And then I would still need to find money to get a trailer. lol

I'm in the austin area btw.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might add....

If you can't find the info you're seeking for a particular problem, this site is the place to come (after the TMs). I have found "Mentorship Extraordinaire" here.

Finding other members near you (You have bunches along the I-35 Corridor) is another great benefit. One or more of them might even be able to help you get familiar with the Deuce before your selction process gets too intense. You'll know what to look for and may even get someone to go with you for inspection/test drives.

In summary...
Do your homework - Then DIVE IN :driver:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got to say that a Deuce dumper with winch has got a cool factor .....
I agree, If I was purchasing a truck for myself,i'd go for a dump truck with winch.

My guestimate for a solid working truck is $4-6k. You will see them for a little less and a lot more, but to get one that is work ready, that should be your budget.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks