• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To flip or not to flip hubs

jfnemt1ff1

Is it a problem not to flip the rear hubs. I like the way it looks w/o flipping. Is there more stress on the bearings?
And is anyone running 395s on a turbo truck? does it hit the pipe.
John

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl_in_NH

Can you take another photo - from an angle more to the front of the truck - and let us see how far they are sticking out? Just curious - and thinking about someday singling out a truck (likely when it comes time to buy tires).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it will hit the J-pipe in off road situations.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take, If you do a fair amount of driving to and from dirt events and actually using the truck off road, the added security of 4 extra tires are unmeasureable. I have had up to 3 flats in a weekend, all from unforseeable items...the one that sticks in my mind was a flat blade screwdriver, handle end first, within 4 hrs of arriving at an event, 100 or so miles from home. It sucks changing an inner, but it would suck twice as much as having no bonus tires and being singled. Yes, I usualy bring a set of "off road only" fronts, but, thankfully, all the flats have been rears. It is hard enough getting the truck up far enough off the ground in the dirt with a full tire to judge the height. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with a single tire, alone and, God forbid, in the dark. That would REALLY suck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Feel free to call with any questions John. Mine does not hit. I had it pretty twisted up at Haspin too. You don't need to flip the hubs, but it looks better, IMHO.

gimpyrobb

To address the flat issue, I plan on carrying an 1100 or 14.50r20. They are the same hight, but the 1100 will look like one of those doughnut spares. I will simply pull the axle to whichever tire gets the 1100.

Alredneck

Banned
When I built Apoc I never flipped the hubs running 395s on stock wheels, since then and thousands of miles later, no extra wear and I have had more than 5tons on the back or in the bed. It all a matter of preference.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does not hit. I had it pretty twisted up at Haspin too.

My answer above was from what I thought I recalled at Haspin! I thought it was rubbing on the pipe, when you were way twisted up.

jfnemt1ff1

Thanks all for the info. I will run it as is for now I just like the way it looks. I Iam in the middle of making a deal on another deuce that is turboed,thats were the other question came from. Maybe on that one I will flip the hubs. Thanks gimpy for the offer I will keep that in mind.
John

opie65

OK, I have to say I have been through this first hand in the last month. I don't know what RIMS you are using, but I can say if you use an M35A3 (A3 specifically) wheel to mount the 395 & 15.5 size tires you WILL, repeat, WILL have to flip the hubs.

I can't say anything about other rims. The issue is the Offset and Tire Diameter match up to create a touch condition to the Rear Spring Pivot Covers.

It can also be done with one person and no air tools, workbenches, or vices.... And I did have Saftey Wire to do, also.

FYI - Take the first two take-off Wheels, and stack them. This makes a nice build fixture that you put the Hubs/Drums on to hold them in place while you work. You can teardown, clean and rebuild on the stack while it holds the studs in place and keeps things from spinning.

Tape the Spindle Threads. Do it. Do...It...

rnrracing

Opie65
Could you explain what you mean by flipping the hubs. I assume you mean the hub that the wheel bearings ride on but I am not sure. I am looking to buy an A3 and want to put 395's on it to get 60mph out of it. I have been reading alot about this and everyone seems to say different things. It sounds like you have done this on an A3 and if so I would like to hear more about how you did it and what probs you ran into. Thanks for your help.

gimpyrobb

RNR, his post says that if you run A3 rims on an A2, you will have to flip the hubs. If you are planning on buying an A3, the hubs will be flipped already. The issue of running 395s on the MPT style A3 rim is a whole other subject. I wouldn't do it, but others have.

rnrracing

gimpyrobb, thanks I didn't know they were already flipped on the A3.
is it because the bead doesnt match or what is the problem with doing that? I have read that some say the tires would be too close together others say they do it just fine.

Unforgiven

Opie65
Could you explain what you mean by flipping the hubs. I assume you mean the hub that the wheel bearings ride on but I am not sure. I am looking to buy an A3 and want to put 395's on it to get 60mph out of it. I have been reading alot about this and everyone seems to say different things. It sounds like you have done this on an A3 and if so I would like to hear more about how you did it and what probs you ran into. Thanks for your help.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/51160-how-hub-flip.html

Hub Flip

gimpyrobb

gimpyrobb, thanks I didn't know they were already flipped on the A3.
is it because the bead doesnt match or what is the problem with doing that? I have read that some say the tires would be too close together others say they do it just fine.
The A3 rims are of MPT style. A search in the deuce forums should bring lots of info about them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks