• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To flip or not to flip hubs

DeuceDad

Good pic jfnemt1ff1. I am thinking about replacing my stock tires with Michelin 46"s and I'd like to not have to flip the hubs. I think the tires look fine on your truck. My question is how does it track down the road and how did the larger 46"s affect your steering? My deuce is a 71' w/o power or air assist steering so I am wondering if the meater/larger tires will make steering difficult. What about the turning radius, can you make a simple right hand turn at a light without swinging wide?

I appreciate any and all inputs here. [thumbzup]

Thanks!

sp00n

My answer above was from what I thought I recalled at Haspin! I thought it was rubbing on the pipe, when you were way twisted up.

I have 395s on my truck and it has never touched my J pipe. There are a few inches of mud caked on it, so I'd say it stays a reasonable distance from it. The only rub is the steering arm on the drivers side under a hard left turn.

wbdodgeiv

I like mine unflipped. I have 395's on stock rims, they will hit the j pipe and I managed to rip out most of the louvered covers in the wheel wells. I haven't gotten around to adjusting the bump stop so I also get the tire into the drag link.

There is a nasty side slope along the length of my driveway. There have been several times during the winter where when backing up the driveway the truck lost traction and slid sideways off of the driveway and down the 6ft or so sideslope coming to stop on probably a 7deg angle. It is kinda scary, I like the security of the wider track width.

DeuceDad

To Flip or Not to Flip Hubs

I like mine unflipped. I have 395's on stock rims, they will hit the j pipe and I managed to rip out most of the louvered covers in the wheel wells. I haven't gotten around to adjusting the bump stop so I also get the tire into the drag link.

There is a nasty side slope along the length of my driveway. There have been several times during the winter where when backing up the driveway the truck lost traction and slid sideways off of the driveway and down the 6ft or so sideslope coming to stop on probably a 7deg angle. It is kinda scary, I like the security of the wider track width.
Wbdodgeiv / Sp00n - how have the larger tires affected your steering? My deuce is a 71' w/o power or air assist steering so I am wondering if the meater/larger tires will make steering difficult. What about the turning radius, can you make a simple right hand turn at a light without swinging wide?

spicergear

So with all these great big meaty tires on the trucks...who's going to build one that articulates in front of the bed like a big rock truck? [thumbzup]

...and don't look at me, I'm holding out for a 5 ton to nest my big Detroit into-

wbdodgeiv

Wbdodgeiv / Sp00n - how have the larger tires affected your steering? My deuce is a 71' w/o power or air assist steering so I am wondering if the meater/larger tires will make steering difficult. What about the turning radius, can you make a simple right hand turn at a light without swinging wide?
I don't know, it's the only one I've ever driven. You dont notice the tire rubbing the drag link when going forward, but its bad in reverse. I have to make a 3pt turn to back into my driveway from a normal residential street if that is any indication. I can make the left hand turn from my driveway, only have to ride the curb for a few feet :driver:

DeuceDad

I don't know, it's the only one I've ever driven. You dont notice the tire rubbing the drag link when going forward, but its bad in reverse. I have to make a 3pt turn to back into my driveway from a normal residential street if that is any indication. I can make the left hand turn from my driveway, only have to ride the curb for a few feet :driver:
Thanks wbdodgeiv, let me clarify... is it physically more difficult to steer with the 46" on without any power steering or air assist? The trucks don't really have a good turning radius as it is, do you feel the radius has been enlarged, you have to turn wider? I am just trying to get an idea of what I might be getting myself into before I do! :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks