• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To get my HMMWV (M1097A2) in good running order... need help.

DEA AK

First do you have a transmission light when in run position but not running? if not then you probably have a power issue, the red button an be pushed any time.
If you do have a transmission light as described above then you need to read the codes, all that information is in this guide.
Appreciate the reply, I haven't noticed any lights so I will have to make sure I check. That wire was corroded so I might have to peel it WAY back to see if there's any good metal in there. Thank you.

DEA AK

You did connect the wire to the red button to 12V yes?? not 24V
DREDnot

I connected the largest of the three wires to the rear battery's positive (+) post, following DREDnot's recommendation. This action successfully enabled the transmission to shift gears. Before connecting this wire, the transmission exhibited loud noises and likely remained stuck in a specific gear, possibly due to limp mode. In the next step, I plan to trim back the larger wire to locate a corrosion-free section and ensure a secure connection.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check that trans light, it will help to let you know if you have a power issue, too bad you were not paying attention when the trans was working to insure you have a working light.
By now you should be gathering all the filters and fluid for a complete change of all the fluids and filters on your truck, really should have been done before the joy riding began, you have no idea how old, how many miles or even if it had the correct fluids to begin with.

DEA AK

Check that trans light, it will help to let you know if you have a power issue, too bad you were not paying attention when the trans was working to insure you have a working light.
By now you should be gathering all the filters and fluid for a complete change of all the fluids and filters on your truck, really should have been done before the joy riding began, you have no idea how old, how many miles or even if it had the correct fluids to begin with.
I have changed all fluids and replaced the filters. From the heated hubs to the power steering. Thank you

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this filter supposed to be capped off or directed someplace else? Based off the stained area around it and even up on the wall, it seems like it spits up fuel???
Its a vent for fuel tank...leave open....but you should get a new one...look up { 33449 filter }.

DEA AK

Does anyone know what type of flare is on the brake lines? This was my first brake line bend and install so its my first time learning about the different types of flares and tubes. I got the only type available to me which was coated steel but I have had to really tighten it and it still seems like its dripping every so often. I obviously don't want to over tighten. Thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what type of flare is on the brake lines? This was my first brake line bend and install so its my first time learning about the different types of flares and tubes. I got the only type available to me which was coated steel but I have had to really tighten it and it still seems like its dripping every so often. I obviously don't want to over tighten. Thank you
You should buy and install the correct parts, your life may depend on it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to ask, that is very concerning.

Stainless steel requires a single flare. Other materials require a double flare.

I’m with Mogman on this

Guyfang

Staff member
If it were me, I would:
1. Open up TM 9-2320-280-10
2. Turn to page 2-126
3. Read the instructions on Towing Operations

The very first warning in the Towing Operations would be one I paid a lot of attention to. I would also read the entire Towing Operation section.
Most everything you want to know is in the TM.

DEA AK

If it were me, I would:
1. Open up TM 9-2320-280-10
2. Turn to page 2-126
3. Read the instructions on Towing Operations

The very first warning in the Towing Operations would be one I paid a lot of attention to. I would also read the entire Towing Operation section.
Most everything you want to know is in the TM.
You're absolutely right. Thank you

Attachments

DEA AK

After looking around, I have discovered that I am missing speedometer parts... the pic shown is the big hole in my case and I am wondering, in addition to the obvious parts missing; 1, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20, 19, and 18 could anyone tell me if part number 17 is actually in there? As you can see from the terrible picture, there is a metal shaft of some sort. It would be great if 17 is in there - it would be just one less part I'd have to buy :-/

Thank you

Attachments

DREDnot

If I recall correctly, 21-17 will usually be found as an assembly. 17 will slip over that shaft in the pic and the gear end of 17 will mesh with a helix on the output shaft. There are usually different color coded/gear tooth counts of the 17 part that correspond to gear ratios to calibrate the speedometer so you cant use just any one. There is also a clocking index on the 19 part and the case that sets the contact depth of the meshing teeth depending on the tooth count/ gear diameter.

DEA AK

If I recall correctly, 21-17 will usually be found as an assembly. 17 will slip over that shaft in the pic and the gear end of 17 will mesh with a helix on the output shaft. There are usually different color coded/gear tooth counts of the 17 part that correspond to gear ratios to calibrate the speedometer so you cant use just any one. There is also a clocking index on the 19 part and the case that sets the contact depth of the meshing teeth depending on the tooth count/ gear diameter.
lots of good info, I appreciate the response.
thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks