• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To get my HMMWV (M1097A2) in good running order... need help.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does appear that the TCM is not turning the MIL light on by what you describe as long as you have confirmed continuity on 567A from the light plug to the TCM, I would say for now as long as the transmission seems to be working correctly go ahead and ignore the missing light and continue to put out other fires until you get to the point you can find and swap the TCM out.

DEA AK

It does appear that the TCM is not turning the MIL light on by what you describe as long as you have confirmed continuity on 567A from the light plug to the TCM, I would say for now as long as the transmission seems to be working correctly go ahead and ignore the missing light and continue to put out other fires until you get to the point you can find and swap the TCM out.
Thank you, I appreciate getting feedback from someone who knows what's going on with these things.

DEA AK

What is everyone's opinion regarding the grounding kits that are available? If the truck is working do you still add it or? Not that I want to spend money, I was just wondering everyones experience / input.

thank you

Hummer Guy

What is everyone's opinion regarding the grounding kits that are available? If the truck is working do you still add it or? Not that I want to spend money, I was just wondering everyones experience / input.

thank you
I have it, but it's definitely not the do it all for fixing electrical issues if you're having electrical issues.

CapePrep

thank you
It's more about preventative maintenance. Ground issues will most likely happen slowly. For $60, it is cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, I was thinking at the very least it couldn't hurt.
It actually can cause ground loops that can have unintended consequences, every device on a HMMWV has a specific ground return path.
IMHO the only reason this ever got off the ground was because to install it you must "disturb" many of the original ground points and some found it "helped" when the truth is they stumbled across the problem they had to begin with during the installation of the kit.
So yes given the right circumstances it could hurt.

DEA AK

It actually can cause ground loops that can have unintended consequences, every device on a HMMWV has a specific ground return path.
IMHO the only reason this ever got off the ground was because to install it you must "disturb" many of the original ground points and some found it "helped" when the truth is they stumbled across the problem they had to begin with during the installation of the kit.
So yes given the right circumstances it could hurt.
Okay, well that's great to know. I guess it goes back to "if it's not broken, don't fix it." My plan is to just get it working as well as I can, not cause additional problems. Thank you

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Okay, well that's great to know. I guess it goes back to "if it's not broken, don't fix it." My plan is to just get it working as well as I can, not cause additional problems. Thank you
And honestly, if you removed every connection, scrubbed it with a fine wire brush, coated it lightly with Anti-Ox paste, then plugged it back in -- it would take you a week. Maybe less depending on how motivated you are.

You and your truck would be much happier!

DEA AK

And honestly, if you removed every connection, scrubbed it with a fine wire brush, coated it lightly with Anti-Ox paste, then plugged it back in -- it would take you a week. Maybe less depending on how motivated you are.

You and your truck would be much happier!

great point, hopefully unscrewing one bolt, the whole truck doesn't fall apart... :)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

thank you
Fix your wiring and clean your contacts. Those grounding kits won’t fix the real issues.

DEA AK

Transmission fluid spray........

On my way home today, I pulled into the garage and saw a lot of trans fluid on the floor and the right front shock & A-arm.

Obviously a line or the cooler sprung a leak...

Now the question is, how do I find it, add fluid and let it spray?

Thank you

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission fluid spray........

On my way home today, I pulled into the garage and saw a lot of trans fluid on the floor and the right front shock & A-arm.

Obviously a line or the cooler sprung a leak...

Now the question is, how do I find it, add fluid and let it spray?

Thank you
How else are you going to find the leak?

DEA AK

So... from what I am understanding the transmission is supposed to be running, go through the gears, holding for 2 seconds, put the parking brake on, put tranny in N and check the level...

With the engine running...?

Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly because I am sure that I have made at least one mistake before in my life...

Thank you

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Park is safer and the trans does not know the difference, any reference to neutral hearkens back to the trucks with no park.
run it it forward, reverse then put it in park and check the fluid while idling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks