• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To lock or not to lock the rear?

welpro222

What do you guys think, im about to reinstall my carrier into my 14 bolt ff. I am deciding whether i should go with a gov lock, open, or throw a grizzly locker in there. At the moment I have a open carrier and a gov lock carrier i can use. This vehicle (1987 suburban) will be mainly a camping and hunting vehicle, with most off roading being on logging roads.

It sounds like the grizzly locker is not that bad on the streets but i'm most worried about towing or driving up hill or over a mountain pass. I'm leaning towards just using the gov lock due to not needing a full locker most of the time. I guess I would like to have the locker and might need it then not having it and needing it.

GPrez

I've read a lot of horror stories about the Gov Lock, but never had any issues with the one in my M1009. It could be that the people having trouble are wheeling the heck out of them. Unless you have money to burn I would put the gov lock in since you already have it.

welpro222

+1 for gov-lock, money is tight in this build being that im rebuilding the 14 bolt and dana 60 front for my truck.

+1 for gov-lock, I have no plans to do any mud bogging or rock climbing.

Skinny

Gov-Lock has questionable reputation for durability and reliability

I without question if you can afford it install a Detroit and be done with it. Unless you travel on icy roads or pull extremely heavy loads all the time, you won't really know its back there until you need it. With the automatic, they are pretty smooth in a heavy truck. Only if I 3/4 to full throttle a turn from a dead stop do I hear it chirp tires. Its pretty cheap instant traction you can count on all the time.

welpro222

Thanks guys for the responses, it seems there are some people who like the gov lock. I pulled the gov lock apart yesterday and it looks like its in good shape, so I may be using it. I plan on getting the rear end back together this week and in the truck by this sunday. The front dana 60 will be getting a power lok differential.

Lonnie

The Grizzly is a more civilized Detroit locker. My friend installed one in his work truck & it is not bad with respect to noise or chirping the tires.
You do have to remember it is there though.

As for the Gov-lock, I have broken a bunch of them. Junk in my opinion.
If you baby it, then you will be fine, but my thought is if you have a heavy duty truck you should be able to use it for its intended purpose.
The last thing I want to worry about is breaking it if im trying to not get stuck.

Last edited:

Skinny

Exactly, the Detroit is bulletproof and you know it's going to work whenever you need it. I'm not sure that you can find a downside to that. It's a known value...full floating 14 bolt with Detroit = awesome sauce

Lonnie

The rest of the 14 bolt is pretty hard to damage.
I'll gladly live with the slight noise of the Detroit to know it keeps me from walking home.

KtK

I would agree with Lonnie and Skinny here. The Grizzly and the Detroit is the way to go, sure its a little noisy but for what you plan on doing with your rig its just some extra piece of mind. The gov-loc is hit and miss, from my experience its usually a miss...

Lonnie

The Lock Right experience I had was not that good. It worked well, but after a few years it started to chatter & lock irregularly.
The teeth were starting to chip & lose contact area. Not sure if it was a heat treat problem or what... it was definitely installed correctly.

This was in a 1/2 ton Dodge that was never driven harshly, 100% on road.

The ARB is nice, but I wish it was also a limited slip when not locked. For rock crawling & extreme offroad it is one of the best things you can get.

It's not good to drive on the road when locked up, so it is recommended to lock only when you need it.
On a street driven vehicle, I prefer the differential to do everything automatically. The last thing I want to do is to have to reach for a switch, instead of drive, the moment I get into a situation.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two trucks with the 14 bolt Gov-locs.

If money and time were no object, I would prefer any of the selectable lockers (ARB, Ox, etc.) as first choice because they are locked when needed and open when not.

Second would be the Detroit type. These are second because they are always in some state of lock except when traveling exactly straight ahead. They are driving the inner wheel and free-wheeling the outer on a (street) turn so there is the feeling of push or understeer. Less cost that selectable is nice.

Third choice is the Gov-loc because it is locked when needed and unlocked when not needed like the selectables. They can grenade but I think that is because of high differential-wheel-speed when they lock up. As such, I always apply power gradually until I feel the lockup and then I can put the power to it. Never had a problem this way. I think if you know how to use them, they will last. So along with this goes the advantage that I already have them. Zero cost, if you will.

Clutch types are fourth (for offroading) but are my first choice for a street car.

By the way, I have well over 300,000 miles combined on the two trucks with 14 bolt Gov-Locs. I do quite a bit of wheeling, some with a slide in truck camper aboard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks