• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To lock or not to lock the rear?

Skinny

I think wheel speed is probably one of the biggest causes for Gov Bomb explosion. Let's face it, the average consumer doesn't understand how to make it work and how it simply wants to explode if you mat the throttle.

I've had lock rites in other vehicles with decent luck but they absolutely suck in terms on streetability and smoothness in operation. I did enjoy the look people gave me when I came into a parking lot, clutch in, full speed ahead :) CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

IMO, a detroit in a heavy fullsize with an auto trans will be pretty seemless in all regards for what it is. Of course you do get the occasional ratchet in a straight line which is just the Detroit telling you it's still back there. That and it's a reminder to check your tire pressure ;)

welpro222

Well you guys are giving me alot to think about, i'm really considering the grizzly locker. I still have about 2 weeks before start getting the axles into the truck, so I have a little time to think about it. I have the Dana powerlok back together and ready to go into my front Dana 60. In the mean time I'll be cleaning, painting and assembling the axles before installing them. The 14 bolt is getting all new bearings, seals, and brake components. The dana 60 will getting new seals and a full king pin rebuild.

KtK

Grizzly would be the way to go IMO. I work for a performance retailer and that is probably one of the most popular choices (up there with the detroit unit). And it also has a pretty killer warranty if thats a concern or not..

welpro222

My main concerns are:

Gov-lock- CONS are it may break, no traction above 25mph, weak carrier case and spider gears. PROs are its more streetable.

Locker- CONS are noise and lockup in tight cornering, PROS are its more traction in any situation.

My main concern is whats it going to be like driving up over a curvy mountain pass road fully loaded with hunting and camping gear. Wouldn't the locker be fully engaged going up a hill because your giving alot of torque?

Skinny

I drove an M1031 which I consider fully loaded all the time up Mt. Washington. At no point was I going, "this Detroit sucks!"

If anything, I would be looking at revising the steering.

richingalveston

I second the Detroit locker. It is the best rear locker out there.
I have an Eaton e-locker in the front, fully open until you throw the switch. I would only put a selectable locker in the front.
When in the mud, its like driving a bulldozer, all wheels moving the same speed with the same power no matter the tire slippage.

When you need to turn sharper in some off road situations, it is nice to be able to turn the locker off and make the turn.

Stay away from the gov-lock. They belong in the 10-bolt not a 14ff or dana 60.
You would not put a 4 cylinder in a top fuel dragster!

Skinny

Agreed

Twin sticks help with a front locker if you cant get away from it. Stock push/pull sucks. Crossover really firms up road feel and response plus it maintains steering range throughout wheel travel. Hydro really helps as the stock system really struggles turning larger than stock tires in any situation.

Just bought this set of shift shafts for the np205 (brand new) thats (out for delivery) today.

Would post pics but membership payment hasnt been received yet

http://jb-custom-fabrication.myshop...hift-rail-kit-stainless-steel-gm-dodge-deluxe
Agreed

Twin sticks help with a front locker if you cant get away from it. Stock push/pull sucks. Crossover really firms up road feel and response plus it maintains steering range throughout wheel travel. Hydro really helps as the stock system really struggles turning larger than stock tires in any situation.

richingalveston

get a steering box that is already ported. Then you can add hydro assist in the future without replacing the box again. it can stay capped until you install the other parts

AJMBLAZER

People over play the "manners" of true lockers like Detroits. I loved mine. I drove Big Ugly in Northern Michigan winters on 36" and 38" tires without issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks