• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To paint or not?

Bigfan

Trying to decide if I should keep it all tan or paint flat black with the tan soft top and doors. Thinking it would look nice painted. Paint is scratched in areas, was touched up by army with a different color of tan in areas. and needs to be repainted anyways.

Question being if it’s painted a different color do you think it will hurt or improve the value? Would do spill on here but not sure how to do it.

WeekendWarrior

Trying to decide if I should keep it all tan or paint flat black with the tan soft top and doors. Thinking it would look nice painted. Paint is scratched in areas, was touched up by army with a different color of tan in areas. and needs to be repainted anyways.

Question being if it’s painted a different color do you think it will hurt or improve the value? Would do spill on here but not sure how to do it.
Imho painting it all tan or flat black is not going to hurt the value of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dhaumann69166

I would agree that the flat black is going to be HOT!!! Have you looked into smooth coat bed liner instead of paint? If you aren’t looking for a glossy clear coat look you can do smooth coat bed liner and get a look VERY close to regular paint. I am going to do the outside of my 93 Humvee with Durabak 18 Smooth Coat in white and the inside in sand tan. Just waiting for a couple days with weather above 65 degrees. I have done TONS of research on bed liner coatings in the last few months and Durabak 18 seems to be the best option for a smooth paint looking finish. It is available in lots of colors and you can get it in clear for a nice shinny finish or leave it flat. When I get mine done I will get pictures put on here. You can get on the Durabak web site and request samples and they have pictures people have sent in of their vehicles.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Military stuff gets painted with a brush with whatever is available. The Carc don't go away.
You could put the cosmoline on it and save it up for a thousand years.
Rattle-can whatever is rotting and enjoy your trucks.
This is a tactical military vehicle and it served. Don't make it too pretty.
If you see only a black box then click on it anyway, it is a SS camo trick.
View attachment FM 20-3 camouflage Marines.pdf

other files too big, try this one
View attachment TB 43-0147 camouflage.pdf

Wally world has camo paint.
When vehicles are 100 meters off the road they are not supposed to be seen.
That is how one does the pounce.

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used the durabak paint with grit for my 5 ton bed and the bed of a 7 ton flat bed. It is good but I have had pallets and heavy loads scuff it and some partial areas lift. I did sand the beds to remove all rust and get them prepped. I also did lay a coat of rustoleum rusty metal primer down. Now it was probably abused but I would not recommend for the whole truck. I would use it for another bed. One of the reasons I used it as my 5 ton came from a chemical unit and the bed was some nasty, rusty, most paint gone. With water it was super slick and my azz fell walking across the bed. The grit makes it super sure to walk on in any conditions.

It is thick and needs to be applied quickly and limited shelf life in the can once opened. I rolled it on with their special applicator. It is probably going to be tough to get a nice even finish with all the angles on a hmmwv. I am not sure how it would stick to the carc without primer. Carc if not properly applied or prepped underneath can come up in sheets. You might want to get a small can and test on your bed and see how it does over the carc.

BLK HMMWV

My HMMWV is flat black. That's how it was when I got it 12-13 years ago.
I may some day entertain a 686 tan color.
Just my opinion but I'd stay away from painting the outside of the vehicle with bed liner and to be honest even the inside.
However it is your truck. My opinion is try to keep it as original as possible that way if you had to sell it it's still restorable .
Bed liner and rhino liner type stuff doesn't strip off real easy.
Have fun with it.
BH

dhaumann69166

The smooth coat I have is NOT slick when wet. It has lots of traction and is actually made to use on boat decks. Durabak makes lots of versions of their product so make sure you get the right one. The textured version is going to look like crap as an exterior finish especially if you use the roller they send. Use a 3/16 nap mohair roller for big areas and a foam brush for small areas and you will end up with a look just like flat paint only it will never scratch or corode. Also you need to use the surface prep they recommend on their website. Rusty metal primer is not a good surface prep and it says right on the Durabak papers that come with the can it won’t work. You don’t need to apply it quickly either. You can thin it by up to 15% to make it work best for your temp and humidity when applying. When done right it will last forever but if you half ass the job you will get half ass results.

Also the main reason I like the bed liner over paint is the HUGE difference it makes in sound and temp. The aluminum body sucks up every last bit of heat your heater can kick out but the Durabak coating stops that. It’s not a BIG difference but at least 10 to 15 degrees warmer inside than before. It also cut the noise level in half! 99% of rattles are silent and motor/transfer case noise was cut by about half. I use my Humvee as a daily driver and days like today and yesterday where it’s -15 any help the heater can get is appreciated. Not trying to say one way is better than the other. Just throwing out a different option for you to think about. It all comes down to what YOU the owner wants for a look when it’s done. Personally I don’t plan on being anywhere I need to hide my Humvee so the camo doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

dhaumann69166

My HMMWV is flat black. That's how it was when I got it 12-13 years ago.
I may some day entertain a 686 tan color.
Just my opinion but I'd stay away from painting the outside of the vehicle with bed liner and to be honest even the inside.
However it is your truck. My opinion is try to keep it as original as possible that way if you had to sell it it's still restorable .
Bed liner and rhino liner type stuff doesn't strip off real easy.
Have fun with it.
BH
Bed liner doesn’t strip easy is correct so make sure if you do it you clean up quickly afterwards and have everything taped off good. Found out on a dodge that the little stuff that got on the box side didn’t come off easy after an hour. Still easier and less mess than paint.

Action

This kind of stuff may not scratch easy, but when you scrspe your humvee along a rock, you will see it in thr creased in aluminum.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally believe bed liner (on the outside) will destroy it's resale value. I personally would not want one done that way at all....

dhaumann69166

Bed liner won’t hurt your resale value it will actually up it a little. There are lots of Humvees for sale that have bed liner paint job and they all have a higher price tag because of it.
Pretty sure that if you crease the aluminum you will be able to see the dent or crease whether you have paint or bed liner.
Either way it comes to personal preference. When done right Raptor Liner or Durabak can look just like a paint job.

Action

Bed liner won’t hurt your resale value it will actually up it a little. There are lots of Humvees for sale that have bed liner paint job and they all have a higher price tag because of it.
Pretty sure that if you crease the aluminum you will be able to see the dent or crease whether you have paint or bed liner.
Either way it comes to personal preference. When done right Raptor Liner or Durabak can look just like a paint job.
A lot of bedlinered hmmwv's for sale at higher prices. Have they sold yet?

dhaumann69166

I think everyone is missing the whole part about IT IS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!!!! I was simply trying to point out there are other options than paint. Not trying to say paint is bad and not trying to say bed liner is some magical coating that makes your vehicle indestructible. Most people think of bed liner as rough and ugly but some types can be applied to look just like paint. It’s 100% in how it’s applied. If you run down the highway or trails with no trees I would say paint it. If you go through tons of branches and tight trails coat it. If you want EXACTLY the way it was originally paint it. Want something that helps reduce heat and noise go with bed liner. If you plan on building your humvee the way everyone else does paint it. Resale value only matters if you are building it to sell. Who cares what the next guy might want on YOUR vehicle that YOU are putting the blood, sweat and beers into.
One last thing for anyone who decides to go with bed liner (NOT trying to say it better or worse than paint, PERSONAL PREFERENCE) use Raptor Liner or Durabak 18 Smooth. They are kinda expensive compared to other bed liners but they are the only ones that give a nice smooth look and are UV resistant so no fade. READ THE PREP INSTRUCTIONS!!! If you use the right cleaners and primers you will have a great looking finish that is super tough. Same thing goes for paint though the prep work is the most important part! I have done tons of research before deciding to go with Durabak 18 so if anyone has any questions on it just ask. Other than that I am out of this discussion. Seems like some are offended by anything not original or anything they wouldn’t buy.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than that I am out of this discussion. Seems like some are offended by anything not original or anything they wouldn’t buy.
Not at all. The OP posted asking about different colors and brought up resale value questions. We just answered HIS questions. My personal biggest issue with bed liner is it hides corrosion until it is too late and then it becomes a huge issue. I personally would never own a vehicle with bed liner on the outside. I do own a 2012 Silverado with a bed liner sprayed in the bed and it will be my last unless it was a super crazy low priced truck.

BLK HMMWV

No body is missing Your Personal Preference we get it you put it on your truck.
I doubt it actually increases the value of the truck .
You disagree. No problem.
Op asked for opinions we both gave him something to think about.
You seem to be the one offended.
Enjoy your truck.
BH

Action

I have seen guys use paint from Lowes (or similar) that didn't look too bad. And, they can color match something you take to them.
I stick with CARC, though.

Bigfan

All food thoughts. Pretty sure I won’t use bed liner on exterior. Over time it fades with the uv in my experience. Will be painted. Drawn on what to do. Need to give it more thought. Feel like the Humvee will hold its value unless I do something stupid to reduce it. Will probably keep it long term but want to keep the markings and such. The inside was green then they painted it tan. Looking at options to reduce the noise and then will
probably repaint it in the same ran carc color.

Exterior - even though I am in texas, all my vehicles are black. Not worried about the heat to say. The top canvas and doors will stay the light tan so don’t think paint d the aluminum black
will change the inside temp
much.

Glad to have everyone’s thoughts on the subject. Always good to hear both sides

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks