• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To re power or Not to re power

APM215

I need Help!

I thought that I would post this Question to you all in hopes that your input would help steer me in the right direction.

I really want a M35a2 but up here in Canada it is a expansive venture to bring one across the border, up words of $10.000, the likes of witch I don't have. The diesel engine, the standard transmission and the drive ability of it are what draw me to wanting one.
I have had many M135 or variants, ie M215 dump. These trucks work well off road and in and around town, I just don't like the auto tranny or the 302 gas engine not that they weren't good engines back in the 50's but not what I want now. I'm not looking to go fast I just want some thing reliable that wont let me down. I have one working truck right now it is a M216 CDN dump truck witch I removed the 11.00 x 20's super singles from and installed 9.00x 20 duels to make it look like a M215, the truck has a hard top and cab heater and is pretty much rust free. I was going to remove the old 302 and auto in favor of a 327 GMC truck motor with a 4 speed tyranny but I'm not felling right about cutting up such a rare truck. I tried to sell the truck with no luck in hopes of getting enough money to by a M35 but no buyers.

So to cut to the chase of my question to re power or not?
:confused::confused:

Last edited:

dburt

Why not go for a Cummins 5.9L with a 5-spd? You should be able to find a wrecked Dodge pickup in a wrecking yard somewhere with a good engine and trans to swap into your truck. Why does it cost so much to bring an M35A2 accross the border, do they charge you lots of custom fees?

APM215

That EUC thing is hard to get around without spending money.
To bring It In to the country is not expensive just a lot of paper work.
The 5.9 Cummins is to long to fit under the hood with out some cutting, and I want to steer away from doing any thing that cant be undone.

Monkeyboyarmy

Nice looking truck Andrew.I'll second the Cummins set up.I found a guy here that is pulling out power packs from delivery trucks. 5.9,Allison,radiator,intercooler,all accesories for $1,700. I am trying to pick one up for an M35A2 that I bought without a motor and trans.

APM215

Thanks.
I had a Cummins 5.9 that I tried to put in one of my m135's but the engine and trans was to long to fit between the radiator and the transfer case.
I'm not opposed to the Cummins I just don't see how it will fit.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have to go manual trans? Why not a 500 caddy and and auto. If you search for specs, they are not much heavier than a small block chevy and have gobs of torque. Other wise, Maybe a 366 or 427 td bbc. Those were the motors put into medium duty trucks by chevy. Similar weight trucks and you can bolt up a deuce trans to get an over drive.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its your truck, make it what you want. I love to see restored "correct" trucks, but I have not the money nor patients (or storage space) for a show truck. How can I tell you not to.

M215

M215 / m216

I know this question has been asked many times before, what about the single speed transfer case? The M211 series transfer case has two rear out put flanges one needed for each rear axle, the only other available is from a CCKW. Since your truck has a double ended PTO for the winch and dump hoist pump (M211 PTO is mounted on the transfer case / CCKW PTO is on the transmission), how will you solve that issue?

Not all M35s are tied to an EUC, my one first purchased in 1999 didn't have one.

Don't hurt the poor little M216

Just my humble $.02 (USD)
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks