• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To use a fuel additive or not in m1008

jimmyjimwas

Ok my friend is telling me i should put a additive into my diesel fuel for the winter he tells me its gonna gel
up when it gets cold my Question around what temp will Diesel gel up i live in Pittsburgh pa
i thought the new blends didnt do that.
Second should i do to the Gm dealer to get it or does advance or auto zone sell the right stuff
Thanks

PAm1009

Diesel 911 (red bottle),Power service (white bottle) will help. Throw some 2cycle TC-W3 marine oil when you fill up that will help the ol 6.2 simmer down. All of these are located at your local auto parts store

GHall

Another good one, not sure if it helps with gelling but it helps with performance and lubricates the injectors is "Diesel Kleen with cetane" in a grey bottle..

jimmyjimwas

Thanks for the reply!
Ok let me get this straight
use the Diesel 911 or the Power service all the time with my fuel in the winter

2cycle TC-W3 marine oil on occasion in the winter? or all the time during the year
and how much of this stuff would you recommend or wont it hurt your engine
at all
thanks i never owned a diesel before and dont wanna do something wrong

cpf240

The 2 cycle oil is to add some lubrication to the fuel for the sake of the IP. The low-sulfer diesel that is available today does not have the same lubrication properties of the diesel that was available when these trucks were built. I add a pint to every fill up, though I've seen some mention that it should be a quart to every fill up.

I also use Sea Foam on occasion. I don't live where it gets that cold, so can't speak to pump diesel gelling issues.

deuce200385

Opti-lube is the best from all the research I have read, I have to order it online but its supposed to be awesome for the engine.

We use Power Service here at work. But read the bottle becasue at below zero degrees you have to double up on it. We also use #1 diesel when it really gets cold. We are 15-20 below again this weekend.

rsh4364

I use PS white bottle in winter and grey in summer,and am amazed how this truck runs better and better the more i drive it..I also throw a qt. of new tranny fluid in the fuel tank when filling up,

TGP (IL)

Thanks for the reply!
Ok let me get this straight
use the Diesel 911 or the Power service all the time with my fuel in the winter

2cycle TC-W3 marine oil on occasion in the winter? or all the time during the year
and how much of this stuff would you recommend or wont it hurt your engine
at all
thanks i never owned a diesel before and dont wanna do something wrong
Power Service 911 (Red) bottle is only used after it has gelled. It will not prevent gelling.
Use the white bottle.
Tom

jgb680

I have used the power service in the gray and the white bottle. They both work, but a few months ago I tried the stanadyne performance formula. I like it much better, my m1008 not only runs smoother but you can tell a difference in power too. My dad Also uses it in his 2003 ford excursion, he has had similar results!

Flyingvan911

I put the (white bottle) Power Service anti-gel in my deuce before it gets cold. I've never had a gelling problem. It's good stuff and used by tons of people.

K9Vic

The 2 cycle oil is to add some lubrication to the fuel for the sake of the IP. The low-sulfer diesel that is available today does not have the same lubrication properties of the diesel that was available when these trucks were built. I add a pint to every fill up, though I've seen some mention that it should be a quart to every fill up.

I also use Sea Foam on occasion. I don't live where it gets that cold, so can't speak to pump diesel gelling issues.
I try do the same every fill up with the TC-W3 marine oil and run the Sea Foam a few times between oil changes.

I also try to only fill up at Murphy USA (Walmart) as their diesel fuel is at least 5% bio to as high as 20%. I have noticed that my trucks run quieter with the Walmart fuel with the Bio over places that do not have it (when I do not add TC-W3). So that is one option for the newer diesel to get the extra lubrication is to run Walmart diesel and the pump will note if it does have it.

Dukeboy

I had good results with Power Service with every fill up, but I now use Opti-lube in both of my trucks with even better results. Having to order online is the only inconvenience.

I ran sno-cats with cummins in them for years, the best additive I have found is Howes. If your gelled up(cranks but no smoke out of exhaust) use the red bottle diesel 911. But I have used Howes down to -30 and still got the cummins to start with the block heater plugged in.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tractor Supply has Howe's and Power Service ( white container) on sale right now.
Bought several bottle last night. GO Now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks