• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To use a fuel additive or not in m1008

Keith_J

I just use the used motor oil from my wife's car. It is very clean, low viscosity and low ash. But it won't help with gel. That is mostly a non issue with modern diesel, especially in warmer climates. You know the stock fuel filter base has a heater, right?

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick "note" I was having problems with my M1009 a couple months ago. My engine would want to die when I would lift my foot off the pedal when coming to a stop. I knew this was a problem with the IP. Instead of just tearing into It and getting the IP rebuilt I took It to a local Mechanic for a second "Not My Opinion" Opinion. He advised me that it was the IP but to try dropping a quart of "Cheap" transmission oil into the tank and fill the take up and It would solve my problem. "It Did" He said what everyone has been stating that the new diesel fuels don't have the lubricating property's that the old fuels had. So now with every fill up I put a quart of transmission oil in. I also use Howes diesel treatment to stop gelling in all my diesel engines and have not had any gelling in my tanks to date.

donalloy1

Replaced OEM IP with Rebuilt unit from local Stanadyne authorized shop that came highly recommended. Technician told me it does not have the military specified seals for running JP5 and other fuels than diesel. Has been working fine.

My question is. If I add 2 cycle oil, Transmission Fluid or other lubricants recommended here. Will it damage IP? Thanks in advance, DMLII sends

Keith_J

Of al the improvised diesel fuel lubes, two stroke oil is the least harmful with regards to ash deposits. Transmission fluid is the most dubious in this respect. Modern gasoline engine oil has far reduced ash worries.

donalloy1

Of al the improvised diesel fuel lubes, two stroke oil is the least harmful with regards to ash deposits. Transmission fluid is the most dubious in this respect. Modern gasoline engine oil has far reduced ash worries.
Two Cycle Oil it is then!

Gather Ash deposits are what harm internal wear points on IP.?

Bighurt

My experience with the Mil fleet is Howes.

However with my 6.4L PS and Howes may as well be water the only thing that I've not gelled up using was Stanadyne. Incidentally Stanadyne makes the ford additive.

Power Service 911 is an emergency product, that doesn't work IMO.

Howes doesn't back their warrantee either.

I use Stanadyne for my trucks.

penokeevet

Years ago (50) in northern MN we used #2 in the summer and #1 in the winter in all diesel engines (Graders, Dozer, etc.) An occasional shot of ether also helped. Tried ether on my gas engine, 1952 Studebaker, at minus 20; and a backfire ignited all the old oil/grease on the engine. No fire extinguisher, but a lot of snow was scooped up in a short time. Never tried it on my gasser again. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks