• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To use snow chains or not?

Cleptomaniac

I have a Deuce with 395s and was wondering if chains were available at a reasonable price. And of it was worth getting them for the 1 day a year I would get to use them :p

eagle4g63

Bobbed or not? With tandems, I am not sure you could run chains. Might not be enough room for them, I use to have 395's on my old truck but don't remember there being that much room.

M1075

Chains are awesome! I still have a few sets of new chains for 11.00x20 but maybe you could modify to fit the 395s?

brianp454

They do sell chains that run across dual rear wheels. If you check with any heavy truck tire place they should have them.

I doubt you can run chains on 395's, at least on both rear axles. Even one axle seems to be pushing it as the clearance is so tight.

This is why some of us stick to 11x20's, 365/80R20's, or 14.5's. They are 44 inches or so tall and still allow enough to run chains all around.

motomacguyver

Ah, you mean like this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHaeRu0SsI

Amazing aren't they - 6x4, 1920's design....

Though these are more like skid steer tracks than tyre chains... but chains might work at VERY low speeds so long as axle articulation doesn't stretch them too much.

Isn't the axle center to center distance fixed, or very nearly, so by the dog-bones? So that the articulation would not change the length of the tracks?

The tracks look like a great,relatively easy to make traction aid. A deuce would be nearly unstoppable in this configuration I would think.

jesusgatos

Isn't the axle center to center distance fixed, or very nearly, so by the dog-bones? So that the articulation would not change the length of the tracks?

The tracks look like a great,relatively easy to make traction aid. A deuce would be nearly unstoppable in this configuration I would think.
No, the distance between the rear axles/wheels/tires can/will change as the suspension cycles. The distance between them will be greatest when the links are flat, and at least theoretically, shortest when both rear axles are at full-droop. Realistically, that's not going to happen very often, but was just trying to make a point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks