• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To V8 another ? YES

Eric's hifim37

I picked up a M43 and after figuring out a budget to get the original drive train back to running vs doing a V8 conversion, it would be far cheaper to convert the V8, I'll be wanting to tow my command car on a trailer anyway so this being a heavier vehicle I feel it would be a better tow rig than my M37 as far a s stability, I never really thought of building a M43 before but after picking this one up I am amazed the room for comfort items such as captains chairs, big bed in the rear and so on, I'll keep it looking original on the outside but I am going to make this a real cruiser on the inside. my point is, it is complete with 7000 original miles so anyone need some factory driveling parts send me a message and we'll deal, I am also looking for a set of "dual-matic" hubs for the front axle, I am going to swap a WW2 3/4 center diff under it for the new transfer case so extra axles too, I'll post some pictures as I progress, My M37 was fun to build so I am looking forward to building this one,

See ya @ Tower !

Eric..

Capt.Marion

You better have your brakes dialed in if you're going to tow a command car with that... or upgrade to disc brakes. The brakes on the M37 are good for just the truck, but I would be quite wary of towing anything more than a 1-ton load on a trailer behind it with the stock brakes.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would just do a chevy 350 with a HD auto, power 4 wheel disk brakes, to MUCH soom will break axles, another thought since you are pulling the power train anyway, find a running chevy frame the length you need, then put the m43 tin on, looking at the truck, no one would not know that it is not stock under the tin.

Remember the MIND sees what the EYES think thay see.

Eric's hifim37

Thanks for the replies,

I have already built a V8 powered m37 with power steering and power disc brakes and it is a awesome truck to drive, Every modification I did fit in the original bolt holes, hence "no cutting or drilling" The factory axles are holding up well and I have never broke a rear axle ( I think the famous axle breakage is a over exagerated bunk rumor) I run 44" tires and I have on occasion even spun the tires on the street. I like to low gears and I do 4X4 it alot here in the desert mountains so it is well used. I was thinking the M43 would be a more stable vehicle to use as a hauler and you are all correct, disc brakes are a must ! To do a frame swap I would have to find a great deal on a 4X4 Cummins truck and then fit the body onto it. I couldn't beat that for a swap to greatness ....

Eric..

spicergear

I'm a Chevy guy...and I know a small block swap is about as easy as it can get but they're done to death. I like seeing some dare to be different now and then. Like a Buick 'Nail Head' or a 348 or 409 Chevy or Caddy or 354 Hemi or the like.

Anyway- whatever you end up with, have fun!

MO MV man

Chevy 350's are the easiest and least expensive, that's for sure.

Spicergear has some awesome ideas. They'd be car show attention magnets, no doubt about that! :)

As for the 4BT.....mercy, my dream swap.
But, around here? Those little boogers may as well be gold plated. Sorry, ain't paying that kind of money for a "runs, but no idea what shape it's in" engine. :(
And as a towing engine? Won't it be a little low on power and available RPM's with the gearing?

I remember about 25 years ago, there was a fella here in town who had a full OD M37 that had a Chrysler V8 under the hood. Memories......
You would have never thought it wasn't a full-resto MV until you heard the exhaust. :eek:

spicergear

What I've found with being around 4bt swaps and my own diesel swaps into trucks with deep gearing is that deep gearing makes the truck feel very mechanical. Like you give it fuel and it jerks forward...lift from the pedal and you fall forward. A taller rear gear would lessen the mechanical advantage and reaction of the vehicle...OR an auto trans. Once you're over 150hp and several hundred ft-lbs you run into this effect. A gas engine usually is a little softer as far as those reactions.

MO MV man

Spicergear, you hit the nail on the head.

Reminds me on the Whistler in my old Deuce; the mechanical connection.
The whistle builds and builds, clutch, whistle drops, shift, whistle builds again, repeat......memories.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks