• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Winch or Not to Winch a No-Winch M35A2? Opinions

tm america

i say go for it i put one on my truck and dont know how i did without it before.it is one of the single most useful things you could do to your truck.uses are endless.get stuck once without it and you will know why i put one on mine

ALFA2

If the price is right, do absolutely do the winch, and get the small parts as they become available later, they are always there, just price and location is a concern for the winch body itself, as shipping would be noticeable.

Good luck.

ALFA2

cbvet

I think a winch easily adds $1,000 or more to the truck's value.
And once you've used it, and gone to all the trouble of trying to get the cable wound back on nice & neat, you'll drive more carefully!

91W350

:funny:Been there, Done that:!:

aua . . . I shouldn't oughta uh done that:evil:

:jumpin:But it sure was fun..... until the CRASH
and now we just:driver:& :grd:
I use a spare tire to wind the cable back on. I find it provides enough drag resistance to spool the cable tightly, yet not so much that I cannot make small adjustments with a bar when needed. Just hook the wheel with the end of the cable and winch the tire to the bumper.... well close to the bumper.

weld88

My deuce has an aftermarket Warn winch, I would rather spend the extra money and get a 1 man operated winch as opposed to a 2 or 3 man operated factory winch. The original winches on these trucks are so big and bulky. I have never needed to use that much pulling power. My suggestion would be to go with a 18,000 lbs warn winch have it welded on and reinforced to your regular bumper similar to mine.
deuce 2.jpg

Hainebd

My truck had a winch but was gone when I get him. I could not afford what the big boys got for their winches so I pieced it together. First got winch, extensions and bumper for $800. Cable brand new. Then purchased brand new PTO from Teds Trucks for $650. New shaft from California $110. Linkage, lever etc from big boys $50. Hardware from mamast $50. Only thing I could not find is shaft mating flange. I called, emailed, talked to many with no luck. I was able to get a part number and then specifications. I checked this info bolt numer and spacing, bore and key size. Found civi that was perfect. Basicly I have a brand new winch on my old truck. With out the help and support of the members on this site I could not have done so easily. My total cost is under $2,000 including trans oil. Hope this helps you.
the winch does add weight right where you do not need it, front wheels. I have used mine for everything but a stuck truck.

just want to ad, this winch will not stop till something moves or breaks. An electric is more feel able. Always use the correct shear pin. Trust me you can lift the entire deuce off the ground with the gar winch.

Last edited:

monkster

I have put a wench on my M35a2 and a 800 series 5T we made into a dump trk. Back when M35 were cheap from GL I bought another W/W and took it off and slapped it on the other trk. I also have 3 PTOs for the M35 two all brand new two in never opened boxes and one opened, I want keep one for myself and the others could be sold. Really don't know what their worth, just know what I paid for them.

I have used my winch for everything including vehicle recovery, but when it came to self recovery what I needed was one on the back. They or handy and after reading the reply's I not so sure that if I did it over again I would go electric.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have often wished for a truck with winch when I was in the Army, when I was in a winchless truck...... Better to have and not need, than need and not have...

I like the warn winch better..... I'm buying truck with no winch, and plan on adding on a 15000 lbs or 18000 lbs winch after I bob it. I think the warn winches are probably more expensive then adding a factory winch but far less complicated and less to go wrong.

weld88

I'm with you Lieutenant Dan, Warn makes a great winch. The 18000 lb winch on my truck runs about 2300 plus some fab time to mount it, but judging from Hainebd post it runs about 2k to just put the factory one back on and I'm sure that's no easy task. Warn winch all the way :grd:

I wish I had the cash now, warn is selling there m15000 lbs winch for $1700 I think which is plenty of winch on a bobbed deuce, if you need more power use a snatch block.

I'm half tempted to try a harbor freight 12000 lbs winch..... I have coupon for $299 get the extended warranty burn it up and take it back for another lol.

only problem is adding alternator and battery for 12v

Hainebd

A bunch of hydros just sold on GL so keep your eyes out. The one thing is that winch gets me all twterpated when I am near it. I like the big hunk in mechanical winch. GOD I hope I never have to use it to unstick me!

XchaosX

When buying my first deuce I made sure I got a winch. Haven't had to recover myself yet but it has been awful handy. The 88 I just bought I'd like to add one. I have a Warn military 18000 winch I was going to add to the rear of my 73. If I can't find a garwood and pto local I might throw that on instead.
2013-12-05 12.56.58.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the winch in my A2 several times per month, mostly pulling logs and rock on the property, and I have never sheared a pin. I also have a winch on my A3, but I have never used it. A winch is extremely useful. Personally, I wouldn't consider a deuce without a winch and I love the Garwood as it is extremely rugged. However, the winch does place a lot of extra weight on the front of the truck so people that never have a need for a winch might choose differently. I know a lot of guys want a winch on the front of the truck for the same reason they want a gun ring - they think it looks neat. Winch trucks are more valuable, but they also cost a little more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks