• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

toasted 6.2 l

nickd

Posted on the G today also....

Today was surely Friday the Thirteenth. On the way to pick up an m1102 trailer at Ft Mead, about 3 miles from the main gate, the engine started to really get loud, oil pressure was normal, it was cold out and the water temp was normal. Having no other choice, I ran it to the base to the Gov. Liq. yard where it finally died. Since there is no hole in the block and no leaking fluids, its a terminal case of internal damage most likely a spun main bearing. The engine locked up 90 miles from home. Luckily I was able to get a flat bed and the folks at GL allowed me to stay warm till the truck arrived.

So, selecting a replacement engine is the question. 6.2 replacement or upgrade to the 6.5 non turbo. I am leaning toward a reasonably priced 6.5 non turbo new in the crate. Will the 6.5 engine drop in and mate up to the existing transmission? If so, I may go that route. If I can find a reasonably priced new transmission with Park I may just change it out as there is a new transfer case already installed. Changing out the transmission now will put a new drive train under my butt.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Should have left it a GL, when it went for auction thay could have said "driven in"

papaydsailor

get a turboed 6.2 from diesel depot. a lot cheaper than a 6.5 turbo with almost the same power and quiter and will fit right in without any modification to your trans and drive train. thats if you are in a tight budget. but if you got a lot of money go for a complete drive train swap with a 4bt motor and a 4l80e trans with a np242 4wd/2wd from predator. and you will have to move your gas tank, change your drive shaft and shifter.

hot rod deuce

I think I would probably upgrade if you think that is what you want in the long term. I think parts will only get harder to find. New 4L80Es seem super cheap IMO. Same with 6.5's. My thinking would be that there is alot of them around right now but they will only get harder to get once they are gone.

I'm thinking really hard about grabbing a 4L80E and 6.5 just to put on the shelf. Maybe we can do a grouop buy!

jjramrod

The 4bt 3.9 will drop in with more room and way more power. its way more reliable and you will also get way better mpg like closer to 20 mpg depending on your driving habits.

jjramrod

1 Does he plan on selling it?
2 it will only ruin military collector value
3 in all cases vehicle value goes up
4 it strengthens the whole of the vehicle
5 way better mpg
6 person who is a cumins collector would buy it in a heart beat
7 people that don't even like humvees would be more interested in buying

A good example is take a jeep or a truck of any kind worth 3,000.00 normally. put a 4bt setup in and you will get at least 8-14 k I've seen it before. So to the right person he just added 5 to ten garand to the value.

OLDCHEV4X4

Wow Nick, that really sucks! I always thought about stuff like that going bad when i'm far from home. So far it hasn't happened to me yet.
I have zero experience with 6.2/6.5 motor swaps, but if it were me in that situation i think I would go for the reasonably priced 6.5 non turbo new in the crate. Good luck with the project ....and the new matching trailer too. Is it tan?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man, sorry to hear about that, Nick. Funny how a 6.2L will sometimes wait until you get to your destination to lock up. The engine in my CUCV locked up 20 miles from home right as I pulled up to the shop building where I was working on my deuce. Luckily, I was able to drive my deuce home.

A 6.5L with a 4L80E would be a good option if you want to keep your HMMWV "stock." You will need a new wiring harness plus have your driveshafts shortened and lengthened to accommodate for the longer drivetrain, amongst other things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks