• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Todays Govliq loadout. How'd I do ? : D

FloridaAKM

Pardon my intrusion, but there is no such thing as 2 phase power. Its either single phase or three phase in delta or wye configuration. I may offer that you are using single phase 220v to run your 5 hp motor, but not 2 phase! I work in an industrial chemical plant where we use electric motors to run every thing, including variable frequency drive systems for precise control of equipment speed when needed! Just trying to set the record straight!
Well done sir! I own the same compressor with a two phase 5 HP motor..it's been bullet proof for two years now.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct......one phase 220. I some how have the thought that two 110 lines (like what comes into the home) is two "phases", two lines. This is why I ALWAYS hire an electrician to do anything that isn't DC power (including hooking up my mep-002 to the house).

Last edited:

rustystud

Really, look into the Phase Converter before you plop down $640. It can be accomplished with capacitors only which total under $50 in some cases. If you want a lot of tools see what the power company can run to your house (if you have three lines at the top of the power pole and one under them, it's likely three phase area)
Once you go three phase you can get lathes, mills, other 3ph gear cheap.
I totally agree with "jhooah" about getting or building your own Phase converter. You will not loss that much in power and you will be keeping that "Kick-A$$" compressor without spending an arm and a leg on a new motor.

FloridaAKM

I agree with rustystud, the phase converter will make your air needs come true without emptying your wallet. If you get more 3 phase equipment, you will have to upgrade or increase your phase converters output to meet the demands. When using a phase converter, you will have power losses across it, but you can size it to meet your needs without breaking the bank!

lxawolf

Depending on the power requirements of the 3Ø compressor could you temporarly hook it up to your MEP-002a? It has the ability to produce 3Ø power this could be a way to power it until you get your phase converter built.

Chrispyny

Thanks for your replies all. As far as using my mep, thats going outside behind the fence on the other side of the house. No go on that.
As far as a rotary phase converter is concerned, i lack space for anything that size. Im already maxed out with an 80 gallon compressor as it is. Plus im working with an electrical supplier to correctly rework the existing motor controls for single phase. Inside each of the two eaton cutler hammer motor control boxes starting from top to bottom is:
Fused disconnect (single or 3 phase, l1,l2,l3, omit l2 for single phase. )
Step down transformer from 480 to 220. (Warehouse had 480 at compressor location )
Magnetic starter with overload relay. (Not rated for enough amps. )
I priced these two motor control boxes new online. They are approximately $2,200 a piece. To save money, i'll be removing the transformer , removing the current mag starter and overload relay, and purchasing a proper mag starter for the current cutler hammer box. It's the most affordable option. It will only cost me a mag starter/ overload relay. The other controler is going. I get to keep the one cool lookin control box and hopefully with help, i'll get her running sooner than later.

Last edited:

Ray70

Don't bother trying to run that compressor off an MEP-002A, it won't even make the motor twitch with an empty tank.
The circuit breaker used in the MEP-002A and 003A will handle pretty high resistive loads but they type of breaker it is will not handle a large inductive load and will instantly trip as soon as you switch the compressor on.
If you were to bypass the breaker and run through a typical commercial grade 3 phase breaker it might start it, but an 002 is still underpowered for that compressor.
Read the sticky about the MEP-002A 003A breaker, its interesting stuff how they work!