• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ton rating

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Riddle me this: My M1097R1 has a GVWR of 10,000 (per SF97), truck weight 5,600 lbs, carrying capacity 4,400 lbs. I don't have the slant back on my truck and it just looks like a 4 door pickup.

According to Wikipedia, this would make it a 3/4 ton.

According to this random equipment site I found in California, this would be classified as a Class 2, Light Duty truck. (Class 3 starts at 10,001 lbs) The ton rating on this site also would consider it a 3/4 ton.

Would you all consider this accurate? Is there any official designation by the gov't? I know HMMWV's vary (for instance my M1114 has a GVWR of 15,500 lbs).

I'm filling out registration paperwork for the M1097R1, for the purpose of this discussion. Would a DMV want the conventional ton rating of 3/4 ton even though this is a range which is far above 1500 lbs or do this want the actual capacity? The paperwork contains check boxes for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton and a place to write in anything above 1 ton. This seems to follow conventional ton ratings.

This is for Montana, if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HMMWV is considered a 1 1/4 ton truck
What, all of them? I did mention that between 2 humvees the GVWR varies by 5500 lbs.

1 1/4 ton would certainly make sense for the M1114 which has a GVWR of 15,500 lbs and weights 7,700 lbs giving it a payload of 7,800 lbs. This is far higher than the M1097R1's 4,400 lbs.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1097 heavy variants are actually 10,300 lb, so that pushes them up to class 3

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1988 M998, the tag says:

Truck Utility: CGO/TRP CARR 1-1/4 TON, 4X4, W/E (HMMWV)

Vehicle Curb Weight - 5200
Payload Maximum - 2500
Gross Weight Maximum - 7700

I assume the 1-1/4 ton is referring to the max payload of 2500 lbs.

Reactions: 98G

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep 1-1/4 ton up here in New England. They just lump them all into the heavy weights.

Mark

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1097 heavy variants are actually 10,300 lb
My SF97 states 10,000 lbs. Maybe it's wrong, but it's officially wrong if that's the case.

My 1988 M998, the tag says:

Truck Utility: CGO/TRP CARR 1-1/4 TON, 4X4, W/E (HMMWV)

Vehicle Curb Weight - 5200
Payload Maximum - 2500
Gross Weight Maximum - 7700

I assume the 1-1/4 ton is referring to the max payload of 2500 lbs.
Wish I could find something official like that. Nothing on the paperwork and the plates.

Attachments

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My SF97 states 10,000 lbs. Maybe it's wrong, but it's officially wrong if that's the case.
When I registered mine, the licensing office put down the gross weight as 6k lbs.
I finally saw it after a couple years and bumped it up to 10k.
WA doesn't really care what the paperwork says, as long as they get their tax money from it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Far to many folks think the GVW is the weight of the truck, the GVW is the “actual weight” of the truck and when it’s loaded to its max
payload capacity. An A2 truck is a 10.3 GVW truck, ECV’s run from 12.1 to 15500lbs depending on variant.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Massachusetts we have something called a town excise tax that charges us for every vechicle on the road @$25.00 per $1000.00 of value. This was enacted to help with the WWII war effort. I sure hope the war ends soon.

Mark

It's always about the money.

Autonomy_Lost

Pretty sure the "1/2 ton, 3/4 ton," etc nomenclature talking about civilian trucks is all but meaningless anymore. Its basically slang and has no correlation to actual payload ratings. Trying to categorize the military HMMWV the same way is futile and pointless.

For DMV purposes they are only going to care about the GVWR on the title.

Reactions: 98G

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to categorize the military HMMWV the same way is futile and pointless.
I get what you're saying, but legality doesn't aways make sense. At one point in time (1893) the US legally classified the tomato as a vegetable. If car manufacturers set the standard and the government accepts it then there it is. I just don't know if Montana accepts it.

The links I posted in the initial post of this thread pull its data from US Government Agencies.

Another thing that comes up, in the military, is that vehicles are often classed for off-road capacity. My M35A2 is legally classed as a 2.5 ton even though that is only for off-road and on-road is 5 tons. Where it's registered, the state only cares about it's classification on-road yet accepts the military designation of 2.5 tons. In some cases (not the M35A2) this can be an important distinction especially if the GVWR would otherwise be above 26,001 lbs. for a CDL license. A friend of mine owns a 5 ton that we think was misclassified on the title and because of this he doesn't need a CDL. Of course, we're not experts it's just that many 5 tons do require a CDL.

I suppose I'll just have to call the state and ask.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So...to answer my own question, I contacted one of the Montana county DMV's...which put me on hold for 10 min, then a recording told me they were too busy, to call back another time, and hung up on me. Then I decided to look up the law code which states to check the manufacturer's stated capacity. Well, I decide to look at Ford F250 for comparison and Ford states capacity by actual weight, so this (actual weight) is what I'm gonna go with.

In my case the M1097R1 is listed at 4400 lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks