• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Too fat to fit

Billy Bobbed

Ive lost weight driving my duece.I think its all that shifting up and down.Pushing the clutch in and out.Manual steering,manual brakes.When your body is use to PS,PB and automatic transmittion for years.When I get done driving my duece it feels like I went 2 rounds with Mike Tyson.:lol:

jimm1009

Yes it was work but it had to be a labor of love. You got to do it in the Deuce!

It simply could not be any better than that! :smile:

jimm1009

pa.rich

Weight loss, the most difficult challenge. I am 6'2" and 300. It hurts. Stress at work combined with winter inactivity has me challenged. And the older you get the easier to gain. The more one weighs, the worse you feel and the joints suffer from it. The worse you feel the harder it is to excersise. It can be a downward spiral. Its a tough thing and in my case I blame it on stress. Makes me eat more and thats the comfort for the stressful job. Sorry but its tough.

jimm1009

I agree as someone who passed up 1/2 century too it is harder and harder to keep it off and sooooooo easy to put it on.
Lack of exercise due to the desk job and stress of the "today" world is not helping.
But we can drive our trucks a little more and wash them a little more and, and , and, ......
It's OD Green that help me with the stress, sort of soothing especially with that canvas scent mixed in.:smile:

jimm1009

Stalwart

I once weighed 370 and I'm only 6'2", we had a joke we had to grease up my belly for me to get in the drivers hatch of my Scorpion tank, not too far from the truth. At 225, everything is easier, especially the Scorpion, my knees don't hurt any more either.

MCHoward

TO: mayor joe
you have confirmed my idea.:idea: next weekend i'm shortning my steering column. i hope your happy. you've just made more work for me.:p:p:p:beer:

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had to take Prednisone for 2.5 years for some severe asthma problems (hospitalized twice a year for three years). Believe me when I say you will gain and keep weight if you stay on it for more than a month. I gained 100+ lbs during that 2 and a half years. It has been **** to lose it........Slow suffocation isn't much fun.
I know where you're coming from! I was on HUGE doses of Prednisone for 8 years because of my myasthenia gravis. Some of the less desirable side-effects of that drug are weight gain, cataracts, type 2 diabetes, and asthma, all of which have managed to find me! I ballooned up to 315 pounds before my doctors started cutting down on the Prednisone and started me on CellCept. I'm down to 285 now, but it's taken me 2 years to get there and will probably take me another 2 years to get down to where I want to be. I'm still on a low-dose Prednisone maintenance program, which is probably why the weight is coming off so slowly. I have had the lenses replaced in both eyes because of the cataracts (and now see better than I ever have as a bonus). I am also a diabetic, now, but I'm lucky in that I can control it with pills instead of shots. I have also developed severe asthma and have been hospitalized for it several times. For the life of me, I do not understand why athletes take it when they don't need to! The stuff can kill you.

moleary

I'll be honest. My hideous great 50year old belly rubs on the M35A2 steering wheel.:oops: Are there any adjustments that can be made to the steering column and/ or the driver's seat?

The only thing I can think of is to temporarily install a smaller diameter steering wheel and air assisted steering to compensate for the loss of leverage.
I'm already on a healthy heart diet and am losing weight (thanks to my darlin' RN wife of 26 years), but durn it, I sure could use some relief until I shrink enough:|
Easiest adjustment is at the dinner table - sounds like you're already working on the modification. Good luck with the project!

dmetalmiki

steering wheel room

Just take out the 3 bolts (in the dash plate) that hold the colum..(down!) and re-drill thro= higher up OR as high as you can lift the steering wheel and..hey prsto ROOM to brake and de-clutch with some more tummy room! I wiegh 154 ibls! 5ft 11 ins and have much better driving SAFETY with this MOD. carried out on my 5 tons wrecker and deuces. I'l see if I can find a pic..and they are clear as to the hieght gained max up the dash.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

February 1st, 2010.

I know I'm gonna get in trouble here, and I don't mean to offend our esteemed members, but I have to agree with Maddawg up above...... These trucks were designed for twenty year old GI's who were about 5'8 and 135-140 lbs, where most of us are larger then that and generally a lot older then the twenty years in and retired types, too.
Having said that, we can either abuse the trucks with modifications, or we can save ourselves by eating better, working out (even a good walk in the evening helps) and control how we take the stress.
I had a suck a-- job with a boss who couldn't find the difference between her tail and a whole in the ground, had less then 1/3 to 1/6th the experience in the trade that I had, and micromanaged me to death. Result? even as a diabetic I managed to eat wrong, exercise less and stress out.... I historically was about 200 lbs and 6'2", went to 245 and 6'2.... felt like hades and would soon have fit neither the Unimog or the deuce..... The results would not have been good, so I'm out looking for another job.... I don't regret being 52 and out of work, because the job would have killed me in a year or so... and it wasn't that great a job to die for. Now I'm down to 214 and going down in weight, the deuce fits better, and life's better..... Many a man or woman has eaten themselves into the grave because they were unhappy (like FatBastard on Austin Powers), but the easiest thing is to look out for yourself and take care of yourself, as life's only gonna be so long in the best of cases.
My wish for you gentlemen (and ladies), is that you might consider the lifestyle and eating habits changes, it's easier to reduce down to a fit in the deuce, as opposed to expanding up to fill a box, if you get my meaning. Your family, and friends, and fellow Steel Soldiers members would rather have you around here longer. If I have offended any member here, I would ask that they accept my apologies and consider why I tried to get the point(s) across that I did. Most Americans don't get enough exercise and good (enough) food, and it has impacted on our live expectancies and diseases, but these are things WE can make an effort to change, it's not easy, and sometimes it's harder to do then we think, but once we establish good habits, everything else will come fairly quickly.

Cheers, AND NO full calories beers tonight, unless you're 135 and 5'8....!

2cents Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

N.B.: IF you really want a reason to lose it (the weight) and a real challenge, get either a Unimog S404.114, or a USMC M422A or M422A1 Mighty Mite, that last item will really make you sweat out the pounds, as the fit's much tighter then a deuce!

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

I agree with loosing the weight. It sure as **** is not easy!!!!! Let me say, watching what you eat is fine but PORTION CONTROL is KEY!!!!! Us americans eat WAY TOO MUCH!!! Get yourself to start easing back on how much you take in and the weight will come off. Lord knows there is more to it then that, it can be a mental thing. I was up to 297 and now I am down to 158. I cant say how much easier it is to do my job and work on my trucks!!! Really enjoying it now! Now that being said...............where did I put that piece of pie!!!

Attachments

Sgt Hulka

And guys, belly fat specifically is dangerous for the heart and your life.

Weight is a ratio: Calories in vs Calories out. Of course, real life ain't that simple. I know that. But hope if you like to lighten up a bit you consider the advantages to dropping weight. The hardest part is starting. Once you build up some momentum, it's easier to keep going. Not easy. But easier.

And remember, on a per-ounce basis, fat in food has many times more calories than even sugar.

Take Care.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spring seat gives alot less leg room too, less room all around. At first I removed the thick cushion on the spring seat but that was too hard on the back.

ATC

How ironic...I'm sitting here typing this with a big bowl of Vanilla ice cream covered in Caramel :D

I'm 6'5", 230lbs. I fit in it just fine. Leg room is just a little cramped, but I'm use to it.

I wish you guys who are trying to lose weight the best! I could lose 15-20lbs and be happy(er). I used to weight 300lbs in High School :!:

Well I'm a neanderthal (arms longer than my legs) and my legs are still cramped! I'm 6'2" and 225. No problems with my belly but even with my short legs that clutch is Kryptonite to my Superman legs!

I have to agree with everyone though...I was bumping 265 about 3 years ago and the stress on my body was just way too much. Told the little lady "Enough with the fried stuff already!".

That was all it took. Took about a year and I've been 225 every since.

Take care y'all!

[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks