• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Too fat to fit

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it would be easy for me to take Mike's side on this I believe the answer lies somewhere between modifying the truck and losing weight.

I was at Haspin last year. Mike and the rest of the guys saw how big I was at the time but I still fit behind the wheel of one trucks but not the other as well as I would have liked.

Everyone who has read my very first recovery post and posts since then have seen me write about my FDS (Fat Dampened Steering ) system. Funny yes, healthy not so much.

I was waiting until I had lost some serious weight before posting but since this thread popped up I figured now was as good a time as any to post my progress.

At Haspin I was in the neighborhood of 410-415lbs. This morning I am down 95lbs since then.

Odd thing about it, my joint problems are worse on my knees and ankles. The trucks still don't fit but then they were never designed for guys as big as some of us here.

I wish anyone who wants to lose weight the best of luck but as someone that has struggled his whole life I can tell you that food ranks right up there with Crack as an addiction.

I can't wait for Haspin this year for everyone to see the new (old) me.

steve

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both box seats and frames out of my M36A2 available. They're in great shape and looks like all original .

I'm located in North Florida between Tallahassee and Lake City near the town of Live Oak.

If really interested I can send pictures. Your pick them up and I'll let you have them for $100.

All the best,
Orren Winjum
Phone: 386-658-3539

saddamsnightmare

May 22nd, 2010.

Gents:

Now I'll see if theory fits practice on the road trip(s) from here (Paris, TX) to Springfield, IL during the next month. I still hope that my fellow members will continue to consider weight loss versus altering the trucks.... The benefits are considerable on the positive side...:-D

alphadeltaromeo

May 22nd, 2010.

Gents:

Now I'll see if theory fits practice on the road trip(s) from here (Paris, TX) to Springfield, IL during the next month. I still hope that my fellow members will continue to consider weight loss versus altering the trucks.... The benefits are considerable on the positive side...:-D
:roll:

yes, agreed rofl

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Congratulations swbraley. 95 lbs. is no easy task.

I totally agree about the food comment-I have no problem exercising and running, but god bless, I love crappy food and it does feel like trying to break an addition.

royaltiger1945

I totally agree about eating better. I just have a sweet tooth that fights like **** when I try to give them up. The only thing I have to worry about fitting into right now is a Freightliner bobtail, but that is not much of a problem as I am 6' 1" and 220 lbs. Only problem is, I used to be 6' 1" and 150 lbs until my job decided that I needed to be behind a desk 90 percent of the time instead of 5 percent of the time.

pittdog

NO SIR ! It's called ... no ofens ... loose that gut , k guy ... Me ..I need to guain weigth ... gettit hard to turn that da#% wheel any more ! :( No adj on the wheel ! only the seat ! but let's keep em goin ! ok !

5tonpuller

Like what was said, These where made for the young. This most of us are not. ( me included ) The health thing is far the better way to go but not always the practical to all of us. ( me included ). At 52 and 238 lbs. It would not hurt to drop some more. :deadhorse: For those that have lost good going keep it up. For those that are tall and thin, we could always lop some off some place. ( just joking )

I have a spring seat and would not trade it for anything. Well time for a walk.

CajunM35A2

Fat guy solution

Get a seat that isn't air or spring , take the cushions and the springs inside out and replace them back and bottom with 3" high density foam . If you need more belly room you could go thinner on the back . It will lower you down some and move you back . I did this for more room and because I got tired of staring at the wiper motor ! The seats were much more comfortable as well . I agree on the weight though I'm trying to drop some as well . But this will work for now . Mark
I have no cushion at present on my bx seat back and I fit just fine. I am building new seat cushions throughout my M35A2. I am using military surplus sleeping pads - those .5" thick very dense foam pads, and laminating them. We used these at church when we made new pads to go along the altar rail and they have held up like new for the last 7-8 years. I plan to use just a single layer of foam for the driver's back cushion. I weigh in at just under the big 3.

Mayor Joe

I removed the back pad from my spring seat which worked great, but I wanted a little more room, so I shorted the steering column 3-1/2". It only took about 2 hours to do.

• Removed the wheel
  • Cut the outer sleeve with a side cutter and slid it off the steering shaft
  • Cut the shaft, then shortened it 3-1/2"
  • Re-installed it with a sleeve over it and welded it
  • Drilled through and pinned it (for extra strength)
  • Shortened then re-installed the outer sleeve and welded it
  • Re-installed the wheel and
PRESTO! WAY more room and easier to steer. Now I can put some padding behind me. Check out the photos. Feel free to contact me if your interested in this modification. By the way, to prevent damaging the horn wire, I taped it to a piece of rod and pushed it down the steering shaft so the heat would not damage it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks