• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Too much injector cleaner?

mead

Hello all, my son started putting injector cleaner in his 1985 1028, and I'm wondering if there can be too much of a good thing. Is there any reason to use injector cleaner with each and every fill up, and is there any harm in doing so?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Cleaner is he using?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hello all, my son started putting injector cleaner in his 1985 1028, and I'm wondering if there can be too much of a good thing. Is there any reason to use injector cleaner with each and every fill up, and is there any harm in doing so?
I honestly don't know the answer to your question but I recommend following the directions on the injector cleaner container.

I'd imagine the manufacturer would love to sell as much as possible so I would think whatever amount they recommend and how often would suffice under most circumstances. Anything over that amount would either be a waste of money or potentially be harmful to the engine.

Just guessing though.....

the skull

I'm using a blend of Diesel Kleen and 2 stroke oil too.
Pretty heavy on the Kleen for now, I'm not taking any chances
on gelled fuel. The 2 stroke oil is recommended by several
people I trust. Old Number 13 seems ok with it.

Papabear, I agree with you.

Jeepsinker

Every time you fuel up. It is to keep the lubricity of the fuel up. Too much injector cleaner can actually cause the specifications of the fuel to change for the worse, but only if it is dosed too heavily. Using every fillup is fine as long as he doesn't add too much to the fuel when he fills the tank.

dependable

Some of the really effective fuel system cleaners are hard on rubber and plastic parts and should be used only occasionally. Maybe try soaking a piece of fuel line in the one you are using to see if it eats at it.

topgun217

I use Lucas fuel treatment every other tank. Never had any gel issue even when we dropped to -20'. I know its not an anti-gel additive but I believe it claimed to clean and lube injectors. I have in the past added a gallon of kerosene when it was forecast to be in the negatives for a few days. I do give the Lucas credit for clearing up smoking issues.

Last edited:
Thanks man! This is my first diesel so I have a lot to learn. I've been reading threads tirelessly, I'm on page 27 now.
Does it matter if it's marine? Where is the best economical source these days?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel additive has lubrication in it. Read the link I posted.