• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

took deuce offroad for first time in river

bjsmith

usually ride 4 wheeler down there but decided to try it out. dont have many pics but here are the few i have. only got stuck once luckly 3 jeeps with winches came around the corner soon as i steped out the truck

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like fun, not much water out here in NM, I'll guarantee you have water/mud in your axles. . .

Make sure you check!

bjsmith

plan on checking axles in the morning only fluid not changed yet looked new when i got it so probly will be changing anyway

Heavysteven

If you want a wet look you can use tire shine on CARC and it will look like new.

Looks like you had fun to much PCMS for me to take mine in water. Guess I am getting old.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like fun, not much water out here in NM, I'll guarantee you have water/mud in your axles. . .

Make sure you check!
Curious, with all the aftermarket support for the Rockwell axles, are their products out there that will seal up the axle better to make it more tolerant of this type of fun?

... or do the people in the high priced off road vehicles have to do the same maintenance on their beefed up axles?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Curious, with all the aftermarket support for the Rockwell axles, are their products out there that will seal up the axle better to make it more tolerant of this type of fun?

... or do the people in the high priced off road vehicles have to do the same maintenance on their beefed up axles?
The axles, in stock military trim, aren't very water friendly. Conversion of the rear axles to disc brakes might help, never really looked into it that much because they aren't rated to stop a fully loaded Deuce. The front axles, I've seen after market boots for the front, but being submerged in water for an extended time will usually result in some water intrusion.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bjsmith, your playground looks awesome! I like pic #2 where your deuce is churning through the deep water. It reminds me of a river boat scene!

Glad you got a chance to take her out, get her wet and get stuck! that is what fun is.

Rick

BJ, what stream is that? Since you're in Zachary, I figure it could be the Amite, or maybe Thompson's Creek? Looks kinda scary, the streams around here, you could drop a tire in a hole and get really stuck.

That CJ looks like it must have Rockwells under it, or certainly something larger than what it came with. Mine is still bone stock.

LC

ETA: That yellow vehicle looks real familiar, there was one just like it for sale 1/2 mile down the road from my home. LSU trim and all.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles, in stock military trim, aren't very water friendly. Conversion of the rear axles to disc brakes might help, never really looked into it that much because they aren't rated to stop a fully loaded Deuce. The front axles, I've seen after market boots for the front, but being submerged in water for an extended time will usually result in some water intrusion.
My brother spends a lot of time with his friends going up and down rivers in his area. I had mentioned that as one of the selling points to me getting a deuce, and I am now cringing a bit. :)

I know there is a procedure you have to do before going through the water and then reverse after you are finished. I also know about the fording kit which I will need to look into, just want to avoid the words "sand" and "gear oil" in the same sentence. :)

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just like a southerner. Carry the 4 wheeler high and dry in the bed of the deuce.
Just wish I was there so I could play with the 814 in the wet........:mrgreen:

bjsmith

i went again today and almost got stuck again but was by a guys house with a dozer then realized i didnt have front axle engaged after that no problem .it is on the comite river most places are not over 3' stay mainly on sand bars till need to cross. the bigger jeep had 2.5 rockwells but the front way making bad popping when he was trying to back out after he got stuck there he had to be winched too. had to take lots of people for a ride today when they seen it:)

bjsmith

Just like a southerner. Carry the 4 wheeler high and dry in the bed of the deuce.
Just wish I was there so I could play with the 814 in the wet........:mrgreen:
the 4 wheeler was there so if something happen i could get home easy or get help and it has a radio so when i stopped i had tunes to play