• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took my deuce across America

Varyag

That's a good write up. As I was reading I was wondering when you were going to have to change out the right front.

Keeping them both at 60 PSI seems to help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish you would have contacted the SS here in OKC. Great story and the Route 66 part was the best.

OldDominionIron2

Nice story. Glad to get an outsider's opinion of my local area (Hampton/Va Beach) and surprised you couldn't find a Walmart, they seem to be everywhere. I've thought of taking a similar trip, and agree with the cot/cooler suggestion.

txdodge43man

Great write up but one question why were you going so slow? mabye i missed the reason in the article but from the pictures your truck did not seem to have a lot of weight in the back. id go crazy at 38 mph

Trails

How does Okracoke look now- a-days?
I saw it as a sleepy little island where not much happens. Of course, I got there in the off season the day before a hurricane was scheduled to arrive, so my perspective is probably skewed. The residents I talked to told me that it's a popular spot for college kids on spring break, and one of the most expensive places in NC to live.

Great write up but one question why were you going so slow? mabye i missed the reason in the article but from the pictures your truck did not seem to have a lot of weight in the back. id go crazy at 38 mph
I was going slow because I had nowhere to be. I had just quit my job and was enjoying the fact that I could do what I want, when I want, where I want, how I want, for as long as I want. Also, the deuce gets kind of loud past 40mph. I saw no reason to introduce road fatigue when I wasn't on a schedule. 38mph translates to 1800 engine rpm, which is a pleasant sound.

I was looking through my photos of the trip and I found a bunch of MV's that I photographed while going down the road. None of them are particularly noteworthy, but this audience will probably appreciate them.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Paul,

Glad she ran good for you! Looks like you had alot of fun! Starting to wish I hadn't sold her!
Are you going to stay out east?

Ed

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all Texas Rest Areas are "wide spots in the road" will little comfot but a ladder over the pasture fence for "relief".

FYI:
San Angelo, Texas is known as the LARGEST city in the United States to be located more than 5 miles from an Interstate Highway ! In fact, the nearest IH is 60 miles to the south (I-10), followed by 90 miles to the north (I-20) where you'll find the nearest citiy of similar size, Abilene, TX. Basically, we are "in the middle of NOWHERE.

Northwest of San Angelo, TX, along US87, along the very short stretch of that highway that cuts across the southwest corner of Coke County, lies a BEAUTIFUL Rest Area with a stone visitors' center and all the creature comforts. There are stands of pecan & live oak trees, shade, and AMPLE parking for cars, trucks and RVs (and MVs), far enough from the main lanes for peace and quiet.

Just wanted to counter your little generalization of Texas' roadside attributes.

-----------------

Thanks for posting your WONDERFUL trip report :driver:

Glad you consider it a SUCCESS :-D

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that was a great story with the pics. glad you had a boat load of fun that was a trip of a lifetime. one of the best experiences you could have made. good friend along with no time limit.. thanks for sharing your story:drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks