• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took my deuce off road and busted my kidneys out

Gunfreak25

I took my newly back on the road M35 on a light offroad desert trail over the weekend. She handles fine on road and I have no complaints. Logged about 400 happy road miles. But this mild trail I went on was a real eye opener. A very mildly rutted rocky trail at just a few MPH too quickly had my fat arse airborn in the stock box seat nearly hitting the hard top multiple times. I had to quickly slow it down to 1st low and it was still very uncomfortable but I kept my butt planted. Anything more than a short trail in this rig would leave a guy completely exhausted.

Some considerations: Cab mounts are a little loose. So I am putting new bushings in and torquing bolts to spec.
Front shocks could probably stand replacing. So i'll buy new ones.
Tires had 45 psi rear and 55 front. I've lowered the rears to 35.
Maybe change box to springer seat?

Does this sound pretty typical for most M35's? I understand it's design. Lots of weight over unimproved roads, walking beam suspension. Is it the box seat that's the killer?

Seems to me like adding some shock brackets to the back and mounting them at an angle like the XM757 would help?

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving down the Long Island Expressway in my deuce at 50 mph empty will have the spring seat bottoming out (which is not great for the back) interspersed with my head hitting the hard top. And I am 5' 9" and weigh only 180. OK so the highway is bad with large ridges in the tarmac perpendicular to the direction of travel every so many miles.

I do not want to imagine going off road.

Spring seat is better I am sure than the box. Get a seat with a new shock maybe that will help. I have new front shocks and run 50 psi in the tires. With a 5 ton load in the bed it rides much better...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I took my newly back on the road M35 on a light offroad desert trail over the weekend. She handles fine on road and I have no complaints. Logged about 400 happy road miles. But this mild trail I went on was a real eye opener. A very mildly rutted rocky trail at just a few MPH too quickly had my fat arse airborn in the stock box seat nearly hitting the hard top multiple times. I had to quickly slow it down to 1st low and it was still very uncomfortable but I kept my butt planted. Anything more than a short trail in this rig would leave a guy completely exhausted.

Some considerations: Cab mounts are a little loose. So I am putting new bushings in and torquing bolts to spec.

Does this sound pretty typical for most M35's? I understand it's design. Lots of weight over unimproved roads, walking beam suspension. Is it the box seat that's the killer?

Seems to me like adding some shock brackets to the back and mounting them at an angle like the XM757 would help?
Don't want a tire to pop off the rim, but 25# isn't too low unless you are doing a lot of 360's in your truck. Springer seat is a little better but only if the thing is adjusted for your weight and with a new shock. Even with an Air Ride seat, your head would be slapping the hard top.

The fuzz would call that "driving too fast for conditions".

Slow and steady wins the race and a seatbelt will make your head happier.
Less air in the tires will help a LOT though...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your TMs for the following tables..

I don't have the deuce TMs, but in the 900 series trucks, it's listed as below:

Screenshot_20210927-202209_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210927-202155_Drive.jpg

As you can see, tires are deflated to 25 and 12psi.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You have 9.00x20 NDTs?

ToddJK

I do lots of trail riding in my deuce. Even put it in a mud bog. They are bumpy no doubt. The chatter bumps on dirt roads was the worst, truck bounced all over and the waist belt about cut me half it seemed. The box seat definitely isn't the best option for this either, I have the spring seat and it's a little better as you can adjust the spring tension under you. I normally just keep my truck in first gear transfercase in high or I might do low and second gear, depending if it's just dry dirt roads/trails or mud. Having a seat belt on is a must though if you want to stay in your seat, just be prepared though as it squeezes harder and harder on the torso, lol. I also don't air down my tires, not the 395's, I leave them at 90psi or whatever it is they are at, though I should, but I just got my air kit in so once that's all hooked up, I can do the air thing on the fly.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very mildly rutted rocky trail at just a few MPH too quickly had my fat arse airborn in the stock box seat nearly hitting the hard top multiple times. I had to quickly slow it down to 1st low and it was still very uncomfortable but I kept my butt planted. Anything more than a short trail in this rig would leave a guy completely exhausted.

Is it the box seat that's the killer?
I strongly recommend an air ride seat base out of a commercial truck cab, with a Humvee seat or similar on top. Makes it look stock. Measure the height of the base you need before you go hunting. Its easy to pick one that's too high. I paid $50 for mine at the junkyard. I deliberately picked an old base from a 1980's truck because the basic design and exposed steel make it look like it belongs into the Deuce.

I put a tee into the airline on the firewall and just ran a DOT line under the cab to the seat. Your arse will thank you for that mod!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I strongly recommend an air ride seat base out of a commercial truck cab, with a Humvee seat or similar on top. Makes it look stock. Measure the height of the base you need before you go hunting. Its easy to pick one that's too high. I paid $50 for mine at the junkyard. I deliberately picked an old base from a 1980's truck because the basic design and exposed steel make it look like it belongs into the Deuce.

I put a tee into the airline on the firewall and just ran a DOT line under the cab to the seat. Your arse will thank you for that mod!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Wow!

I wish you were located a little further south... I have gone to several junkyards (I have been corrected too! They are called salvage yards!).
Everything air ride that I have found is more in the $300 range - and that is a bouncy seat with a rag for a seat cover.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a springer base, with new shock, and an MRAP troop seat. All that helped a lot. I attribute most of the improvement to the modern seat as the passenger side does not have the spring base and the ride off-road is not too shabby.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Mullaney I deliberately picked a base with a wasted seat because I knew I was going to throw the seat away. I also did my best to appear as if I did not care whether I bought it or not....letting a jun...salvage yard owner know you really want/need something is like pouring blood into the water for the sharks!!

I made that mistake with two Canadian M35 trucks. He wanted to get rid of them because no one bought parts off them blah blah blah, until I talked trucks with him and he learned that I have one. Then, all of a sudden, I could no longer buy the power steering setup off one of the trucks. I had to buy the whole truck. Trice picked over already, non running and now it cost 3400 dollars! lol

That was two years ago. The trucks are still rusting away in his yard. I do not understand this business model.

Last edited:

ToddJK

@Mullaney I deliberately picked a base with a wasted seat because I knew I was going to throw the seat away. I also did my best to appear as if I did not care whether I bought it or not....letting a jun...salvage yard owner know you really want/need something is like pouring blood into the water for the sharks!!

I made that mistake with two Canadian M35 trucks. He wanted to get rid of them because no one bought parts off them blah blah blah, until I talked trucks with him and he learned that I have one. Then, all of a sudden, I could no longer buy the power steering setup off one of the trucks. I had to buy the whole truck. Trice picked over already, non running and now it cost 3400 dollars! lol

That was two years ago. The trucks are still rusting away in his yard. I do not understand this business model.
You sure hit the nail on the head with that! I always play the I know someone else who has one but I figure I would look here first, then usually they want to make that sale.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Thanks @cattlerepairman ,

I appreciate the info that you shared. I remember back 40 years ago when it really was called a junk yard. Used to be that I could go out and waunder around the place and find what I wanted, take it off the vehicle. Then I had to hustle it up to their office - a little two room shack - and one of these rooms was the bathroom. The guy that owned it would make a price that was little or nothing, I would give him folding money and both of us were happy.

Here in the big city, everything is removed and cataloged and photographed. Having a Web presence is an understatement these days. We have a couple of surrounding towns that aren't completely ruined with the "fat wallet syndrome". Maybe I need to cruise out about 50 miles and see if I can find something there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks