• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took The Plunge - M101a1

CrazyF

Anyways, I'm kinda new here, but have lurked on and off for about a year now. Try and take it easy on me, lol.

That being said, I took the MV plunge in small way. I bought a 1969 M101A1 trailer from a private seller who had recently purchased it in PA off of GL. It's in pretty good condition, no rust in the bed, no real rust anywhere else minus some chipping paint and surface rust in a few spots, which I want to clean up when I have some free time this spring. Very clean axles and springs. I had another cheaper trailer, but I recently got into moving a lot of firewood, so I needed a bit more heavy duty trailer to move it around with, and it fits the bill perfectly. I'll be towing it with a 2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3L, or if not totally loaded down, a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4.0. I was concerned about the Jeep, but it has a max tow capacity of 3500 lbs.

One of the top bows is broken but intact, but it doesn't seem to look that difficult to replace, and it has all other bows, gates, and hardware.. As of right now it has no soft top, but I think I found a source for them in one of the other threads.

The PO converted the lights to 12v 4 pin lights, which I had planned on doing anyway. The original military wiring is still there, but he took out the light units to put on the civvie lights. Is it worth ripping out the mil wiring? Would anyone want the wiring and lights if i did? I'm not really worried about losing any collector value on it; I plan on keeping the trailer till the wheels fall off.

Anybody have any other hints, tips, or tricks for me? I'm pretty mechanically inclinded, and have a nice set of tools. Is it hard to grease the bearings on this thing?

I'll say it right now, I'm already interested in getting a m1008 or m1009 to match it up with. I'll have pics later on this coming week.

Thanks again,
Forrest

Last edited:

KsM715

:-D If your already thinking of another MV then your hooked. Dont tear out the wiring, if it works then leave it and find some military lights to put back on it, converting them to 12v is not that hard.

DieselBob

I'll say it right now, I'm already interested in getting a m1008 or m1009 to match it up with.
Thats it , your hooked. Welcome to the addiction. FYI- there is no cure. I concur with Jeff, I would also keep the military wiring intact and change to original lights just with 12V bulbs. Keeps the original appearance. 2cents

TIGERFANS2

You're screwed.
First I bid on and won an A1...... then I saw a A2 going cheap so.......... then I thought it looked stupid having two mil trailers and no truck so....... see my avatar.....

You are SO screwed..........

rockinobsidian

I agree you are definitely a goner! In the begining of Nov. I got a M116a3 from GL, the EUC hasn't cleared yet, and I saw an M762 with miller welder that didn't require an EUC that was going cheap so I put in a bid lets just saw now I will have two trailers ;-). At least you avoided the EUC mess it takes forever and welcome to the addiction

KaiserM109

If your already thinking of another MV then your hooked. Dont tear out the wiring, if it works then leave it and find some military lights to put back on it, converting them to 12v is not that hard.
I agree, but if you decide to pull it out, let me know what you want for it. I have an M101 with cut up wiring. I put all civilian lights and wiring, but would like to go back to military lights with LEDs (duel voltage). See Trucklite Military Rear LED Composite Lamp

Arlyn

PS You’ll love the way it tows, but I too have questions about your Jeep. I pull mine with a ’69 Bronco and it gets a little bossy when the load gets up toward 3000#.

CrazyF

I agree, but if you decide to pull it out, let me know what you want for it. I have an M101 with cut up wiring. I put all civilian lights and wiring, but would like to go back to military lights with LEDs (duel voltage). See Trucklite Military Rear LED Composite Lamp

Arlyn

PS You’ll love the way it tows, but I too have questions about your Jeep. I pull mine with a ’69 Bronco and it gets a little bossy when the load gets up toward 3000#.
The CUCV is on the back burner till a later date, but I'm feeling it coming within the next year or two. I'd like to switch it to civvie wiring just for ease of use with other vehicles as well. I'm buried in snow right now, but if you remind me in the in the spring, I will non destructively take the wiring harness out and save it for ya.

I haven't towed it with the jeep yet, but it tows great with the pickup. 65 no problem, and it didn't weave all over the highway. I'd never towed with a pintle hitch before, but they seem to be a lot smoother than a regular ball hitch.

As for rust, there's a few spots of surface rust on the outside, but no rust in the bed or underneath on the frame or underside. The rails look to be very old originals, one of the top support bows is snapped, and one of the side rails is sagging in the front, but the bow and rail hardware is in good condition. So when the nice weather rolls around, I'll be grinding off the rust and flaking paint, repainting, probably with something other than CARC because I don't wanna mess with the heath effects ( i was thinking semi-gloss black farm implelment paint), replacing the bows and rails, and durabak'ing the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks