• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the plunge. What have I done?

Milbikes

I went back and looked at an M1008 that I saw a few days ago. It wouldn't start, so I put the batteries from my civie diesel in it. I waited for the wait to start light to go out just once, and it started up. It took a little cranking, and I could tell that not all cylinders hit right away, but it started within 5 seconds, and idled almost immediately (Although not a high idle). Checked the charging system and it showed good output. The gen 2 light glows weakly at idle, but goes out when the throttle is pressed. Waited a couple minutes and then took it for a short test drive. Seemed pretty good. When we got back, it was idling higher than when it was when started. Could there be a problem with the high idle mechanism? It looks like a little solenoid under the air cleaner? The door data tag says it is a M1008, but in the bed is a good sized aluminum rack for radio gear, and four antenna mounts, and tie down eyes in the bed. The troop seats are not the long ones, but are the short ones. It looks like the bed of a M1028? I am new to these so I may be confused. I must be confused. I went there with a set price limit in mind (He didn't accept). I almost got away.....made it to the end of the driveway...stopped....went back and bumped up and made a deal. Oh no! I know I won't have any use for the radio racks and seats...are they worth anything? I will need to find a hood, because the one on the truck is cracked in the middle. The driver door has a big dent in it. How did these things get so many dents? Anybody in CT with M1008 parts at fair prices? I am sure I will be having a lot more questions. I hope the truck lives up to my realistic expectations. It seemed to make me 'rescue' it...... weird. Hal

LanceRobson

Your post would be a lot easier to read if it were broken up into paragraphs or bullets but I'll try to not miss any questions. In no particular order:

The doors often get dented my morons who move them with forklifts. The usual problem is that they don't have good enough depth perception and run in too close to the load or approach at some angle other than 90 degrees or that instead of toting them around level they feel the need to tilt the load back.

The rest of the dents come from 25 years of motor pool and field life. They are the MV equivalent of hunting scars and tattered ears on dachshunds, terriers and the like at dog shows. The AKCjudging rules for them say "honorable scars are not a defect";-)

The GEN 2 light being on at idle could be from a loose belt, loose dirty or corroded conections or connectors or low idle RPM. If you rule them out and the batteries are in good shape it might indicate a pending alternator failure.

The aluminum rack is a standard radio component rack that could be put in any M1008, M1028 etc. The seats can be removed individually. If you look, you'll likely see the lugs for attaching the last two seat bottoms.

Idling faster after running, especially after sitting for some time is not unusual. Not having high idle on a cold start is not normal. Go to the -20 TM in the resources section of the website and check the troubleshooting guide . You should alos check the wiring connections to the idle solenoid (or whatever it's called)

The rack may be worth something other than scrap if you can find someone who wants one but the racks and seat can readily be sold in the classified section of the website or at any MV show you care to haul them to. There are enough of these getting parted out that a good hood should be easy to find. Check the classifieds and if one is not listed, post a want ad.

Lance

swyne

Hello I'm looking for some seats and possibly some antenna mounts? if your looking to sell? if so give me a pm. Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks