• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tool Box ideas....

rmgill

So looking at old British Trucks has got me thinking about low profile tool boxes that could be installed under the beds of Deuces and 5 tons. Jerry can stowage too. The only thing I lack is a welder and chop saw to make them happen. Anyone think or make anything like this before?

For Jerry Can stowage, think of some basic angle iron built into a rack that'll hold a jerry can sideways (edge up) and have a hinged arm that covers the can and locks it in.

For tool boxes, I'm thinking of a low/flat box kind of like the ones in the Drop Side beds on some trucks. The tool space fits between the underframe of the truck.

Any other ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I seem to remember having seen jerry can brackets bolted to rear mudflaps...................

So that would be 2 more.....

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The metal part, not the rubber.

It was a long time ago, but I seem to think I saw it on a deuce......

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The jerry can bracket was bolted on the metal part that the rubber part attaches to.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would look better if they were mounted on top of the front fender(s) instead. Don't know about the mudflap thing, but if you are desperate I guess.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Vertical, I have been looking for a pic, but to no luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One could probably fab up some of the big 20 mike mike ammo cans on their side under the bed. I have bunches of ammo cans and use them for all kinds of stuff. They're about 10"x16"x26". I've even used one of these as a console in a beater Jeep. I also have a small can that I removed from the bottom of the M146 semi trailer. Too small for much though!

williamh

gee ... i seem to recall that there is a area behind the cab that most people use to ... i think carry stuff ... if i rember correctly ... it is about 7' wide and about 12' long ... :?: rofl

how much stuff do you want to carry ???

Jones

Take a look at the tool/storage boxes on Unimogs for ideas. Gonna use boxes off of a 5 tonner for the baby HEMTT if they'll fit. Otherwise, I'll make my own using sheetmetal and the latches off of a few scrap hood side panels I've got laying around. Should work out OK.
I know I'm throwing myself in front of the flaming crowd saying this but I've looked seriously at German jerry cans because of the no-leak spout design and the fact that they seal well enough to be stored and carried both on their narrow and wide sides. I figure, inside of a can storage box, who'll know.
Who am I kidding; like 5 gallons would even get the bottom of the tank wet.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jones said:
Who am I kidding; like 5 gallons would even get the bottom of the tank wet.
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

rmgill

williamh said:
gee ... i seem to recall that there is a area behind the cab that most people use to ... i think carry stuff ... if i rember correctly ... it is about 7' wide and about 12' long ... :?: rofl

how much stuff do you want to carry ???
It's Lockable Toole Storage that I'm wanting more of. If I have $300 worth of tools and such on the truck, the last thing I want is someone to be able to climb in the bed and just take them. Same things goes for jerry cans with fuel in them.

I kind of agree on the german jerry can design. I'm not sure why the US had to go and change a good thing.

Jones

I'm with you, RMG. I figured hasps with padlocks or the lockable, inset handle latchs (similar to a HEMTT outside door latch), on the 5 tonner tool boxes would slow down most thieves. And too, if they can't see the stuff, they're less likely to decide they want it.

DrFoster

In the Marines, I saw angle iron cut / welded into a rack of sorts and then we put tools in motar boxes and slid them in. We used rubber foam on the bottom to keep the tools from making TONS of noise, and a small chain with a padlock to keep them from falling out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks