• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tool choice help needed

Boatcarpenter

Need some help.
What do you use to loosen and then retorque to 80 to 110 lbs. ft. the jam nuts on the lower front brake adjusters. Can't seem to get any sockets on that I currently have in my toolbox.
Jam nuts are numbers 8 and 10 in the picture.
Thanks for any advice.
BC

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, I used a 3/8" drive crows foot with a 6 inch extension.

I may have just used an open end wrench, at a slight angle(and held the 2 flat sided adjustment with the crows foot). I can't remember for sure.

Either way, I'm sure I "torqued by feel" (some reasonable experience helps).

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I have found, setting the shoe to drum gap, at all 4 locations, at .015" and not making a final adjustment, works well for me.(as opposed to the TM settings of .020" and readjusting, as the TM outlines).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks