• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tools.

landfillman

Im a part time mechanic at work and like good tools. I have to supply all my tools aswell. I talked to a man that bought a load of tools that came from GL. He said he kept 2 of everything and want to sell the rest. My big question is What bands of tools are used? Are they brand stamped or Like alot of corporate tools good tools without logos. Anything not sold will be scrapped or yard saled.

THeres several lots of box end and combinations and pipewrenches, CLamps, Vise grips, prybars and screw drivers and a few sockets and ratchets. Ive been offered 17 cents per pound if I take the whole lot. Im willing take all the duplicates and extras for my shop and service truck.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It's a turkey shoot. I wouldn't buy unless you got to look through them first and do you get to pick and choose or have to buy the whole lot? Are they local or do you have to ship?

GI's don't take care of their tools that well and if they came from a unit that sees a lot of field time, they could be nothing more than a rusted mess. Also if they are at GL, are they sitting or do they plan to move them outside. That's what happened to every lot of tools I got from GL, looked nice until they left them outside.

As for brands, they will mostly be name brands. It depends on the set and the age and the specific tool but expect to see KD, SK, Crescent, KAL, Bonney, OTC, Blackhawk, and whatever PFC Snuffy could afford to replace the tool he lost.

Also expect to see breakage, especially with the pry bars, I mean screwdrivers, I mean pry bars...oh well same thing in the eyes of a GI. The tools will most likely have lived a rough life.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't see how you can go wrong in buying the whole lot. "Proto" is one brand used by the military and are high quality, I have some in black finish, very heavy duty...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some GI screwdrivers that came from a truck I bought that were made by some no-name manufacturers that are absolute junk. Very soft steel and handles that were small diameter and hard to hold. Like Carnac advised, it's a turkey shoot. Don't assume anything.

jasonjc

Like he PVT Snuffy looses some thing he either pay the over price govt rate or gos to HF and buys some thing there to replace it. I seen a Staff SGT there one time with a list of stuff he had to replace.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not only "what PFC Snuffy could afford", but even shipped from a supplier there was a plethra of different brand names in the same kit. I worked for a supplier that bid on, won, and supplied thousands of kits for different applications. We supplied US made tools (nowadays they accept foreign made tools if they meet specs) from whoever was lowest cost and met the specs. The majority of socket sets were Easco.
A screwdriver set could consist of four or five different brands.
Be carefull with those lots of tools, you may get 65 13/16" combo wrenches and one 3/4" combo wrench. On the flip side, a metric pipe wrench is just as usefull as an sae pipe wrench!

For clarification, the foreign tools referred to would be Wera (Germany) and Facom (France). They make, or made, items US manufactures did not.
I do not imply Chinese or similar nations.

Last edited:

paulfarber

The tools should all be American made... its a law (Home Depot just got busted for selling non-American tools under the GSA contract.

Ever manufacturing process can produce a dud.... I swear by my Craftsman tools others call them complete junk becuase they don't 'feel good' in their hands.. whatever.

When a unit goes out and purchases tools locally that's when the cheap crap seeps in.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tools should all be American made... its a law (Home Depot just got busted for selling non-American tools under the GSA contract.

Ever manufacturing process can produce a dud.... I swear by my Craftsman tools others call them complete junk becuase they don't 'feel good' in their hands.. whatever.

When a unit goes out and purchases tools locally that's when the cheap crap seeps in.

For clarification, the foreign tools referred to would be Wera (Germany) and Facom (France). They make, or made, items US manufacturers did not.
I do not imply Chinese or similar nations.

I too like Craftsman tools, but Proto would be my first choice.

landfillman

IM not worried about getting alot of the same tools, SOme how I have a knack for ending up with 4 or 5 13/16ths and 3 9 /16ths and alot of 10 mm and 3/8ths. lol

I loose alot of tools into dozer and compactor belly pans. May take a year for me to retrieve them lol .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another way to look at it is, how much could you lose considering the price of scrap metal today.
About 7 cents a pound if you had to scrap them all.

17 cents is still a great price if there is anything to salvage at all.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like good quality tools but I'm not hung up on Snap-on, MAC, etc. I've just seen too many good mechanics owe their soul to the Snap-on man. They are good tools but overpriced IMO compared to other good quality tools out there.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sorry to tell you but the tools used by the military/GSA are NOT all made in the USA. In fact most coming through GL will probably be lower quality and also very well used. Heck, my uniform isn't made in the USA (unless you consider us a part of China anyway).

landfillman

Well folks ot was a too good to be true deal. The man had 3 good wrenches in the pile and the rest were junk. Not good old worn out tools just junk in ammo boxes. Turns out he works for an import sales company that sells cheaper stuff than harbor frieght.

Turns out he had all the returns and culls he piled into the boxes. I wouldnt give 2 cents a pound for that stuff. I talked to an aquaintance in the area and he knows of a man that really sells surplus tools. I want to thank all of yall for the information yall gave me. I hope to get in touch with the other dealer and purchase a few tools that way.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an official response to, "does the US Government allow foreign made tools?"

"Yes it is allowable. It must be stated in the contract. The key is to watch for the " Buy American Act" This means you can bid foreign made product but they do grant US made tools a slight price advantage. It's also suppose to be for only the approved nations which they provide you a list of.
The military however is much stricter. They will only allow foreigh made product if there are no US companies with complete US manufacturing capabillities any longer....such as air & electric tools. Where as the bearings and other componants are no longer made here by anyone".

This is from a major supplier of hand, power, and specialty tools to the US Government.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks