• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Few reasons for selling a deuce?

fantastico

SO, i am interested in buying my first duece. I have been reading pages on pages of info on here about the dueces. The good, the bad, and this is going to be a cool truck. What i have not heard are the pitfalls. I'd be interested to know what drives most people to sell these cool trucks. Put aside those that are building for selling, i just want to see why some decide to sell them? Your 2 cents would be great?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people just aren't prepared for the cost of upkeep or find out they can't keep the truck in their neighborhood.

I , also am interested in the truth behind owning a mv. I wonder how much use the average user/owner of these trucks actually put them to work. I can imagine walking out of the house on a cold day just to run to the store for a six pack and looking at the truck and wondering if it would be worth sarting and warming to just make a packy run... Maybe that is the best part of owning one is those trips..

goodguyzy

there a lot of "bad" things about a deuce (m35a2):
1) slow 45-50 (stock)
2) hot in summer OK in winter with 15 min warm-up
3) long turning radius
4) no power steering (unless equipped with air-o-matic)
5) wipers suck (unless converted to electric)
6) uncomfortable
7)old (repairs)
8) tires suck (stock ndt)

those are some cons but there are a lot of pros. that said i own a few trucks and love them and would encourage anyone that's interested to get one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think a lot of folks see them, think they are cool, buy one and then realize they aren't up to the care and feeding of the beast.

It's kind of like owning an exotic animal.....you can learn to co-exist with it but if you're not careful it will end up biting you in the arse.

These are (for the most part) 40 plus year old vehicles that prob spent most of their lives sitting in a motor pool waiting to go out on a field trip. They were maintained for the most part by young soldiers that saw them as a burden rather than a cool vehicle and did the bare minimum to take care of them. I know this because I spent 34 years driving them and then supervising the young soldiers that drove them.

Add to that they were then turned in and went through a succession of agencies that cared even less about them than the soldiers. They sat in storage, were moved around by people that took no interest in them (often being manhandled by forklifts or dragged and pushed around), and were exposed to the elements.

It is amazing to me that I have picked up so many of them and not only would they crank and run but I could drive them hundreds of miles home, often towing another one.

And while they are cheap for what you are getting they are loud, rough riding, hot, cold and require constant maintainence.

I have two cargo deuces and a M275 deuce tractor........right now they are all non-mission capable for various reasons. I'm now on a fixed income so I will have to get them all running as money permits.

That being said I am in the hobby for the long run.

91W350

I know they are a lot of work and if you do not like to work on vehicles, I am sure they will be very expensive to drive. If you never spent much time around a bare bones military vehicle, I suggest you spend some time in one. There just is not much forgiving inside of one. Failure to strap one's self in could result in neck injuries from being launched into the roof, or leg injuries from being launched into the bottom of the dashboard. I had a couple of old gassers, they were just too expensive and slow to feed and use for much of anything. I am older now and a little more secure financially. I always loved diesel engines and especially the sound of a multifuel. I suppose I will get over that soon. You wear ear plugs in these to protect your hearing, not to listen to your Ipod. 8) Glen

colelkhunter

most reasons I see posted for selling have to do with financial burden. Or upkeep on several vehicles. It is addictive and can get out of hand. I see folks that buy several and then realize that they don't have the time to drive one of them and start culling the herd. That being said there is nothing like a solid well maintained deuce. Point and it goes there. They are minimalistic at best, but can be made quite comfortable if money is spent. Just don't have too high of an expectation.

littlebob

SO, i am interested in buying my first duece. I have been reading pages on pages of info on here about the dueces. The good, the bad, and this is going to be a cool truck. What i have not heard are the pitfalls. I'd be interested to know what drives most people to sell these cool trucks. Put aside those that are building for selling, i just want to see why some decide to sell them? Your 2 cents would be great?
Have you ever had a boat? They both can be a money pit, but they're both a blast to have. Just like an older boat, your not done when the entrance fee is paid, it's an ongoing thing and to make it affordable you have to be able to do most of the work yourself. I think a lot of younger people jump in without
thinking ahead about the storage, maintenance and insurance issues.

militarysteel

i was lucky enough to have one with air assist steering, but i still bang my elbow on the door every now and again. and my gut must be growing because its very close to steering wheel, 75 dollars , max amount on my visa got me little over 3/4 tank diesel, some parts are around, the thought of hitting the break and nothing happening is something i am always aware of. Because of my historic plate, i worry about cops, around here they are really not nice. Other then that, the looks you get, and the feeling of driving a solid steel, well made beast, its like no other. sometimes i start it up just to rev it a little , Quite reliable they are! its a real mans machine.

exactly what littlebob said. I have an older chris craft that owns me. I love it! it seems like every year they come out with more things i didn't know i needed to have. guns are just as bad, but without the maitnance issues.
These trucks are a trap because they are cheap to buy ... but expensive to keep.

mckeeranger

The best reason to sell a deuce, is to buy a 5-ton.

Seriously, I agree with what the others have said. They are cheap to buy, but can be expensive to own and drive. They are loud and rough, but that also makes them awesome.

But then, I've been in a REAL 427 Cobra. It was loud, rough, uncomfortable, and the most awesome thing I've ever sit my butt in. They're expensive to own too. What true gear head wouldn't want one of those?

As far as: "didn't know what they were getting into" It's true. Some people don't think to ask the question you just did. You are now a step ahead of them.

Vendetta

Reasons for not owning a Deuce...

Additional reasons ppl may forgo owning a Deuce...

1. Bought it and didn't tell the wife... then she came home from work to it sitting in the drive. fat lady sings

2. Bought it because you thought it would be cool (and it is BTW) but you got tired of waiting on the EUC to clear b/c of short attention span so you sold it to someone else to recover. :cookoo:

ATC

The only reason I'm selling mine is because I'm trying to pay off my DD as soon as I can so I can get my first house before the housing market rebounds...

In the nearly 2-years that I've owned it, all my M35 has cost me was an oil change and some gear lube...

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't worry about the housing market rebounding anytine soon.

As far as deuces go, or any of the trucks, 5 tons, 1 1/4 tons..... They can be a serious PIA, but, each one of them is my favorite. I'm sure most of ya know what I mean.

Deuces are alot of fun in my opinion. Especially if you like turning wrench and the sound of a sweet running diesel (Multifuel, Cummins, Mack ect).

Whatelse can you paint with a spraycan and make it look good?

Deuces are cool.

dc3coyote

Why sell one, if you get one and wind up needing money get rid of something that you dont need, like a kidney, or a child.
Hearing the sound of that White, or Continental with a C turbo spooling up, can always bring a smile to your face.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks