• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Few reasons for selling a deuce?

saddamsnightmare

December 7th, 2010.

PEARL HARBOR DAY! Honor the few we still have with us!

#1 reason for selling a deuce? Moving to a state with laws that are not particularly conducive to owning and running one of these trucks daily! (Regrettably, right now, that's where the work is for me, but maybe I'll get lucky and get another equally good job).
#2 Moving to a 50'X150' urban lot with a house and a garage on it! (E.G. I coundn't find any good affordable houses with land here that were in the country (See reason No.1 above).

Otherwise, I am griving over the loss of the truck and I can only hope someone on here down in Texas can give it a good home where the laws and the climate are better for M35's.

Last edited:

dragonwagon

Iv owned my deuce less then a year , its my first mv so ill tell you what iv found .

Im glad im a jack of all trades , can trun wrenches , can weld , basic knowledge of trucks .

I bought a truck i think was in better then average shape , still i had the fuel filters plug up , whole fuel system from the tank up needed cleaned out .

With in 1,000 miles a wheel seal leaking .

Weld a patch panel on a floor due to rust .

It i had to work on it out side id think of selling mine , you need a garage you can get it in for repairs .

I really think the deuce is often of an impulse purchase with out much thought . Then reallity sets in for all the reasons thats been mentioned .

roscoe

Just my opinion here - I think people in general have become accustomed to things being quick, easy and convenient. The duece is not condusive to that mindset. However, when I pass the open top Amish buggies in this freezing a** weather I feel like I'm cruising in a cadillac.

December 7th, 2010.

PEARL HARBOR DAY! Honor the few we still have with us!

#1 reason for selling a deuce? Moving to a state with laws that are not particularly conducive to owning and running one of these trucks daily! (Regrettably, right now, that's where the work is for me, but maybe I'll get lucky and get another equally good job).
#2 Moving to a 50'X150' urnban lot with a house and a garage on it! (E.G. I coundn't find any good affordable houses with land here that were in the country (See reason No.1 above).

Otherwise, I am griving over the loss of the truck and I can only hope someone on here down in Texas cabn give it a good home where the laws and the climate are better for M35's.
Hope it works out for you Kyle, I was wondering why SN was for sale

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sell my deuce? Not unless it was totaled, but even then it would be a good source for parts. I might consider selling my truck if I had to move to a unfriendly MV area (laws wise) or someone with more money than sense came knocking at my door. :cookoo:

But with all the joy this truck brings me by just idling there all pretty like it would nearly kill me to part with her. All the football tailgating, parades, and terrifying opposing airsoft teams yet to come I only see the odds stack in my favor of keeping her.

FormerNewMVGuy

I sell one every now and again... i ussually sell a truck because my wife says there are to many army trucks on the property again, I recently sold one of my deuce's because i bought a 5 ton.
But that is the only reason i sell.

midcounty

And the number one reason for someone to sell a Deuce......

So I can buy it :D . They are expensive to run and maintain, but well worth it if you like big bad trucks. Amazing the attention it gets to.

Akicita

I used to have F-150 pick-ups. Had them for years. When the last one showed brake problems, I sold it to a former neighbor who was a do-it-yourself fixer upper kind of a guy. It didn't take long for me to miss my truck.

When someone showed me his Deuce I got hooked. I need a truck that is larger than a regular pick-up because I need to do a lot of landscaping work around my house. The price range of a Deuce was right, too. I visited two dealers and decided to buy from the second.

I know the neighbors who live more or less across the street from me aren't happy about the truck in my driveway but the young couple next to me is OK with it. His dad was in the army and his unit had a firetruck Deuce. Dad has come over to my place to visit the Deuce - not me.... Need I say more ?

I have used my truck once or twice a week on average since I got it. When my car was in the shop I took the Deuce to work. I got a lot of attention from the maintenance guys at the office complex where I used to work. Some colleagues couldn't quite understand why anyone would buy an old army truck but some people just don't get it.

I get plenty of attention at fuel stations. Now and then someone gives me the thumbs up when I drive into town. There's also been the occasional honking of horns and a few salutes, particularly around the holidays.

I bought from a dealer I trust because I am neither an experienced mechanic nor what you might call a tinkerer. I am learning to do the maintenance these trucks require as I perform the various maintenance jobs. That was fun while it was warm. I guess I will do less driving in the winter time now. ;-)

So far, I had to take the heater fan out to get the blower to work, replace the throttle cable, and now the turn signal control bulb needs to be replaced. None of these jobs are biggies.

I have no intention to sell the truck. Of course, I would reconsider if any serious problems arose. To my own surprise, I have used the Deuce more often than I had envisioned I would when I bought the truck. I learned to drive on a stick shift many years ago, and driving a stick shift now is actually fun.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

jblack6527

My deuce has been very good to me, in the two years I've owned it it's cost me maybe $600 including fuel. I've only put about 3000 miles on it, but it's been pretty reliable. I really love it, but some times you just have to realize what's more important in life, an extra "toy" truck, or saving money to try and get out of debt, and hopefully advance in life. That's the reason I'm selling mine. Just realizing where my priorities need to be, and try to rearrange the things in my life to reflect that.

RDFD1

Go to a car show. Ask any owner there and they will all tell you that they have more time and money in their ride than it is worth. It's not about the time and money. It's about doing what you want whether it's a complete restoration, a custom build or just a beater. Any hobby is the same way. Some of us just plain old enjoy it...and for some, well they're addicted!:lol:

AzBuckfever

We've only had ours for a month....but I can tell ya some of the parts make me wince (i.e. Air-o-matic, arctic heater, etc.) It's definetely not a budget ride for the one with a mindset of using it. However, I can say one reason I enjoy having it; all of the people who walk by and stop to talk about it....That's always fun.

beachbummer

WELL now

This post is very informative!! I hope I will be the owner of a deuce soon!!
I was in a bad wreck last year, and the settlement is buying a home, land, and a deuce!! I do not have any car payments, or owe anything to anyone. I can work on fix about anything. I hate buying a car that runs. I would rather buy one with problems, so I can fix it and save the money. I will have a multi fuel deuce, cause I got a free source of used oil. I have no experience with a diesel except driving one my whole life. I do plan on taking some classes at college to learn a little about diesels. Hopefully I will have a deuce that me and my 2 sons will make into a crew cab!

fantastico

This post is very informative!! I hope I will be the owner of a deuce soon!!
I was in a bad wreck last year, and the settlement is buying a home, land, and a deuce!! I do not have any car payments, or owe anything to anyone. I can work on fix about anything. I hate buying a car that runs. I would rather buy one with problems, so I can fix it and save the money. I will have a multi fuel deuce, cause I got a free source of used oil. I have no experience with a diesel except driving one my whole life. I do plan on taking some classes at college to learn a little about diesels. Hopefully I will have a deuce that me and my 2 sons will make into a crew cab!

Sounds like fun, keep US posted.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I bought mine and made a "few" modifications with the specific intent of using it as a tool when I build my house. I look forward to selling mine, I'm just not finished using it yet.

paulfarber

My first M32 is still waiting EUC (1 day on the counter :( ) but I do have a CCKW (the great, great grand daddy of the M35).

I can fix just about any problem on my CCKW/jeep with a 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16th wrench, a flat blade and a phillips screwdriver. Its simply gas, air, and fuel.

Would I ever sell any of them? Well, no. Why? My list:

1 Never want to lose the 'where do you mount your machine gun?' argument.
2 Tell the local 4x4 snot that his truck will fit INSIDE my truck.
3 If 4x4 is good, 6x6 is gooder.
4 Most trucks have a 6ft long bed, I need one that is 6+ft WIDE
5 Never having to take oil to the recycler again
6 Center consoles and bucket seats ruin the mood

<rant>
Lastly, those trucks have defeated evil, and freed millions of people. The white star on the door means something to me, my father, and those that would think to do us harm. If I have to skin a knuckle, or pay for fuel that's a small price to pay to remind the sheep that there are those that can, and will do what they will not.
</rant>

x-ray

I think if your looking for reasons "not to own a deuce" here - your asking in the wrong place. :-D Its like going to a dog show and asking owners about the reasons not to own a dog. you will find more reasons of why not to own one from people that don't have one (in my opinion).

I think the reasons not to own one are:

1) Its big
2) Its loud
3) its very different and not what some people consider "cool"
4) costs money to sustain -
5) no heat in mine - and its cold outside.
6) doesn't get good mileage - unless you recover oil

Comment on cost - however the parts for what they are are usually available and inexpensive compared to other big truck parts.

The reasons to own and enjoy actually may include the same reasons not to own one. (big, different and very unique to most neighborhoods)
I've wanted one since I was a child and sat in one. Call it a mid-life crisis or whatever Its fun to own something you always wanted as a kid. I wouldn't want it as my daily driver, but enjoy it completely as a recreational and occasional work vehicle - especially now that I own farmland.

One major advantage I have found is that its been fun and great to get to know and learn from other people on this board and others. I've had so many people stop in and ask me "where did you get it?" and "I used to drive one in the service..." Its great for meeting people. You are also popular in the neighborhood for big delivery needs and I am OK with that. I like my neighbors and count on them so works out just fine to help them out when they need a load of gravel, bricks, wood, whatever.

I've found my deuce is a good foundation for building friendships with your friends/family. Its a good excuse to have your friends come over and help you out with a project and build a close relationship with a young adult too. Many things on a deuce are large and it helps to have two people to do it easier. I don't consider the deuce complicated to own and working on it is more of a fun hobby than a chore (of course it helps to not have it as an essential runner).

paulfarber

That there opens a lot reasons why not to own one..

You have thin skin and can't stand people asking dumb questions.
You live have imprisoned yourself inside an HOA
Local tree huggers hate black smoke

There are no good reasons to sell a deuce, just YOUR reasons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks