• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top speed / tire size

The Gimlis

Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting a m818 but I'm curious what it's hiway speed is. And what's the difference between Posted and what it really can do? Also, what's the standard tire size on these big guys? Do they usually have a cab heater. Yes I am a newbie to these machines and would appreciate any info and advice. Like no way don't do it, or go for it girl. :roll:Thanks, Lisa

The Gimlis

thanks, but I AM the wife and I am egging on my husband! We like to be a little different than everyone else, and these MV's are perfect.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a shop guy at Memphis tell me he drove the stock 5-tons 70MPH all day. That would have been a mistake. I guess he didn't do it long enough to throw a rod, but I would not want the truck it was done in.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you keep it stock, keep the RPM at 2000 and the motor will last you forever. 2000 RPM translates to about 50-52 MPH. That's the speed I drive my M809 series trucks with 1100s. The 1400s allow you to drive a bit faster as others have already stated. Speaking of 1400s, I don't know what the Goodyear 1400s say on them, but the Michelins have a warning on them not to exceed a certain MPH. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I believe it is some where near 55 MPH. Be careful...you might be exceeding the speed rating of the tires on your truck!

Wolf.Dose

Hey guys,
on the other side of the Atlantic river you are tough on speeds. We in Europe have the ETRTO, which is simelar to the tire and rim in the states. The ETRTO gives on the tire side wall a load index and a speed index. Military tires are useually good for F or G in speed index, which means 80 or 90 kph or 50 /56 mph. You can ad a little speed with the propper tire pressure plus 10 percent. Overload you can compensate with a lot higher tire pressure.
So far the tire side.
The next is: It is a MV, which is designed for speeds less than 60 mph. Why you want to run it at 70 or 75 miles per hour? You have a MV, so I think you must live with the rules of MV. Else to my understanding you should change to the civy truck sceene.
In Europe a truck over 3.5 t (7700 lbs) legally is allowed a maximum speed of 80 km/h (50mph). So tires for us are not the problem exept to reduce engine rpm for fuel consumption reduction.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks