• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top speed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post up the fastest top speed you have personally achieved driving your HMMWV.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I top out at 69 with 24 bolt and BFG baja load range D as they are taller than the earlier goodyear radials which gave 65-67 highway. Stock 6.2L with 3 spd.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By top out, do you mean you just run out pf power there?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an interesting bit of info that seems to confirm 70 mph as top speed (possible).

https://www.military.com/equipment/high-mobility-multipurpose-wheeled-vehicle-hmmwv

And specifically, this variant, The M1097A2 series features a 6.5-liter Optimizer 6500 diesel engine built by AM General's subsidiary, General Engine Products. It is coupled to a four-speed automatic transmission and full-time four-wheel drive transfer case to provide the HMMWV with exceptional performance. (See specifications) The vehicle can reach speeds of more than 70 mph

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I don't own a HMMWV but I do know that my contact maintenance HMMWV's equipped with 6.5 turbo, 4 speed o/d can go around 80 mph. That's just a guess as the speedo runs out of numbers at 60 but the needle still travels down towards almost straight down. The engine doesn't sound happy when doing this. It held together for the trip and has served many more years at a more leisurely 62 mph traveling behind my M984A4 Wrecker.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other members here and g503 do report 70ish numbers with 6.5's and 4 spds. I know the fuel can be turned up on the 6.2l but I have not done so.

Others have told me my numbers are much better than their result but I don't know why. I have not looked at the transfer case or differentials to see if they have been upgraded?

69 on the interstate is cool with me and I have done that speed on 60-90 mile one way mostly interstate trips with no problem. I confirmed my speed with the Ulysses android speedo app.

Recon1172

I’ve been down a dirt road in Somalia, doing 60 mph, man in the turret with a .50 cal, loaded with gear and 4 people with my truck commander yelling slow down. It’s all fun and games until an M60 mount becomes unsecured, bounces off a Kevlar and flies out the window... then you have to turn around search for it.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Here's an interesting bit of info that seems to confirm 70 mph as top speed (possible).

https://www.military.com/equipment/high-mobility-multipurpose-wheeled-vehicle-hmmwv

And specifically, this variant, The M1097A2 series features a 6.5-liter Optimizer 6500 diesel engine built by AM General's subsidiary, General Engine Products. It is coupled to a four-speed automatic transmission and full-time four-wheel drive transfer case to provide the HMMWV with exceptional performance. (See specifications) The vehicle can reach speeds of more than 70 mph
***Snicker***

That article has a reference to an "A0" designation, how funny!

AAVP7

Considering the top speeds that are quoted here, this is probably just a nice story:

In the early 90s, I talked to an FAC of the 1st Armoured Div, at that time stationed in Germany. You know in Germany, at that time, we still had that "unlimited speed" on our Autobahns, so traffic was flowing much faster than the average HMMWV would go.

When asked how his Humvee coped in german traffic, he said it made about 60 mph, so about 95 kilometers per hour, which is about the average speed for trucks overhere, so he could survive on the right lane of the Autobahn. BUT, he said, their military police HMMWVs had their "governors removed", so they would be doing 140 kph (which would be almost 90 mph) !

At that time, I was willing to believe, but when I hear the noise today coming from my Humvee at 55 mph, I´m pretty sure that 90 mph are a tale.....

However, and that´s a fact, at that time, I drove an old french car that was just able to barely do 110 kph (70 mph) indicated, and while at top speed, I once was easily overtaken on the Autobahn by a two-door Humvee, which must have been doing 120 kph (about 75 mph) - indicated, however.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
71.5 is the fastest I was able to go for a short period.
But I usually keep it at 60-65
I would not recommend going faster than 60-65 with the 3 speed

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1097A2 series features a 6.5-liter Optimizer 6500 diesel engine built by AM General's subsidiary, General Engine Products.

I really need to see if they would let me take a tour of their facility. It is only a few miles from my place, even closer to Ben's.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It was new, had less than 200 miles on it and we were the advance party for a convoy going west on I-70 to Pinion Canyon, puling a M416 trailer. 69 MPH is what the speedo showed and it sounded like it would come apart at any time. We were passed easily by the 3/4 full HEMTT fueler that was supposed to be behind us, no way in the world did I think it could go so fast. Talked to the driver at our next fuel stop a couple miles down the road, he didn't know it could go that fast either, said he just put his foot to the floor and let it go.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
70 is easy in the 4speed truck, I own 4 of them...do you want to go that fast in this truck? No....not really, they are all over the road. This truck is very happy at 60-65mph all day. I drive them daily....

Awol

I've seen a few guys hit 80mph in the 4 speed trucks.

Around here in MA, the highways are like super speedways without turn signals, or any sense of direction. I'd imagine having a 4 speed truck around here would be nice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks