• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Topeka MVPA Convention photos

Pawnshop

M813RC, Reloader64 and I made the long haul to Topeka for the convention. I wanted to take my M1009 but summer heat and some mechanical nigglers put the kabosh on that idea, but I will do my best to make that happen next year! There was so much to see I am glad we stayed the entire four days. Here are some photos of my favorites, in no particular order.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is what is becoming a tradition of taking photos of Scott (Reloader) asleep at each event we attend, he seldom fails us!

Your pictures are much nicer than mine. The light in there sucked for snap-shooter cameras like mine.

Cheers

Pawnshop

Interesting vehicles there....

I really like the M416 variant trailer. That'd make a nice BBQ rig platform. [thumbzup]

That belongs to Mr. Carlson, one of the "old men" of the MVPA and a figurehead in the area. That M762 trailer was pretty much the first thing I saw when we got there on Thursday and Mr. Carlson was the first person we talked to, he is the nicest person and made a great first impression! Mr. Carlson said he started collecting M151s in about 1970 and there are many still in the family, quite a few of the M151s at the show belonged to them, he told me that trailer was one of only two he had ever seen with his own two eyes and the other one was right next to that one when he bought it (he is still kicking himself for not buying both). Due to the rarity I would say HANDS OFF for BBQ duty... go find a M416 that someone has butchered and use that one! (If you find two ugly M416 let me know, I want a chassis for a project too!)

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is what is becoming a tradition of taking photos of Scott (Reloader) asleep at each event we attend, he seldom fails us!
I I didn't have a couple of those on my cell phone I'd start to think ya'll were staging them.

Sorry I missed the trip but next year we get to go to the Wright-Patterson Museum so I WON'T miss that.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, already looking forward to Dayton.

Mr Carlson is a grand old gentleman who stands as patriarch to no less than four living generations of M151 (and derivative) collectors. Very spry for his age (mid-80s), sharp as a tack and with a great wit. What an honour to be able to spend time each day chatting with such a fine man!

Below is another picture of that very interesting Oshkosh 4x4, this one with its trailer and cargo aboard after the show, and some more of the near 200 display vehicles.

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

On that trailer, it is not a M416 trailer as it is rated at 3/4 ton. I have had two of them, and still have one here today. I will try tomorrow to go out to it and get the "M" series number off it. I was told they were generator trailers.
There were several sold off of MCAS Cherry Point here back in the 1990s. I "think" I know of a couple in a friends junk yard.
Great little trailers, I have a civi air compresser and a generator mounted on mine here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Gastrap

Awsome pictures. What is this? Some type of old ag tractor with armor?

Wow, what a great show!

I saw that at John Deere Expo a few years back. It's a reproduction of a prototype armored John Deere, one of two types submitted during WW2. Both were total failures in testing & not accepted. It was definately cool to see them both putting around the show grounds.

Pawnshop

On that trailer, it is not a M416 trailer as it is rated at 3/4 ton. I have had two of them, and still have one here today. I will try tomorrow to go out to it and get the "M" series number off it. I was told they were generator trailers.
There were several sold off of MCAS Cherry Point here back in the 1990s. I "think" I know of a couple in a friends junk yard.
Great little trailers, I have a civi air compresser and a generator mounted on mine here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

I think M762 is the number. If I was anywhere near you I would be hounding you for the location of your friend's junkyard!