• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Topper bolts

Sportsmanfromkc

Anyone have any idea where I can get new bolts for my top?

My m1009 came with only a handfull I took one long and one short bolt to home depot, they matched thread and length to some they had.... Bought a bag full got home and could only thread em in about halfway. The existing bolts I had fit in every hole fine so I'm sure the thread in the clip is fine just wrong bolts from home depot.

Any help is always welcome and appreciated. Thanks guys.

niferous

You have a Fastenal store there in Olathe. They can match them properly and will probably have them in stock. If not they can probably source get them from thee servicing hub the next day.

KSKC1 - Olathe, KS 66061 | Fastenal

I work for Fastenal and so yes this was a plug for my own company. But they will get you the right bolt more than likely cheaper than the hardware store. :)

135gmc

It sounds like you might have metric bolts - I agree with niferous - Fastenall is a good resource. McMaster would be a good supplier if you knew exactly what you needed, and if you needed about 100 of each size, but Fastenall is great for smaller jobs. Home Depot is never at the top of my list for bolts - a good hardware store usually does a better job.

niferous

Fastenal can blow McMaster Carr out of the water on price. In fact a lot of the bolts on our MV trucks came from us. We are the main fastener supplier for Stuart and Stevenson and down at my location BAE is starting to buy more and more fasteners from us for their trucks.

If you guys ever have a big project just PM me and I'll run up a quote.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-289-34P parts manual, one of the bolts is part number 458985. It should be self tapping.

Going to www.tpub.com and search for "458985" this page came up.

5305-01-162-5707 Screw, Tapping

The specs are:

A12 DOG TYPE
0.312 INCHES
1.075 INCHES MINIMUM AND
1.125 INCHES MAXIMUM
STEE

Which translates into a 5/16" self tapping bolt that is 1-1/4" long

Last edited:

niferous

OK I pulled off one of the bolts today and took it to the shop to size it.

The bolts are body bolts and the size is 5/16-18 x 1.

5/16-18 x 1" Phosphate He x Head SEMS Body Bolt | Fastenal

Now I just grabbed a hex head bolt and matched the washer that was on the factory bolt to a 5/16" x 1" fender washer. As you can see in the picture it fits just fine. If you want a body bolt just because that's what was on there you can get them but a 5/16-18 x 1 hex head cap screw will work just fine. Also any USS or SAE washer will work just fine. I just grabbed the 1" fender washer because its the same size as the one that was on the body bolt.

My opinion is I would want the regular zinc plated bolt as it fits, it's readily available at any hardware store, and it has much better corrosion (rust) prevention than the body bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks