• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tops off

how many people take there tops off there m1009 in the summer

• tops on

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • tops off

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters

pinbill

My topper has white spots where the fiberglass is showing. Is there something special I should use for primer before 383 green. I may leave the top off for a while I paint it.

Mudstone

My top is off... i have a tarp that i slam in the doors and bugie under the rear fenders for the rains at night. How hard is it to pull the doors off? I may want to make my trucks exposure... indecent :) im gonna look at it tomorrow.

dduncan

I took the top off to get the inside of my truck sprayed with bedliner, looks cool and it is really nice in this warm weather. I actually even drove it in the rain and didn't even get hardly a drop of water on me! I say top off in the summer time!

AJMBLAZER

My top is off... i have a tarp that i slam in the doors and bugie under the rear fenders for the rains at night. How hard is it to pull the doors off? I may want to make my trucks exposure... indecent :) im gonna look at it tomorrow.
Check your local laws. In a lot of places it's illegal to operate your vehicle without side mirrors. You can take the doors off but you have to somehow put a set of mirrors back on it.

alm0263

Doors come off very easy just 6 bolts each and not heavy at all. Its pretty tricky if you do it alone and super easy with a buddy.

Yes check your state laws, some states dont allow no doors.
i live in texas so im fine

chevy79k5

top and doors off frome mid may till oct. but i also got a soft top that i use whne i need it like if it rains and the doors i have quick relse pins for them so that only takes like 5 min to take of or put on. got my tool box bolted to the floor with a nice lock on it to keep it safe

msoumas

New England weather means that I don't often get the opportunity, but when I get a solid dry week on the weather forecast I like to take advantage of it.

dskchevy

Soft top is nice but at $600-$700 I will just lift it off.................Plus we are looking at 100'-104' fri sat sun...............................:p

paramilusmc

I have never taken mine off but that was because it was painted onto the body. Its in the paint shop rite now, and the top is off and getting all new rubber all the way around. So i will definitely be taking it off more often.

AJMBLAZER

Hah. With all the framework, bows, buckles, retention equipment, windows, zippers, and all?

Sorry,just heard that said a zillion times and never seen any result anything like what the commercial operations sell. A flat piece of cloth to cover the top of a roll cage and maybe wrap around? Sure. Actually duplicate the intricacies and function of a true soft top? Nope.

us74k5

I have a can back soft top on mine. I love it. I had the best-top soft top on my 74, this thing makes that one just look silly. I will post up a pic when I get back from afghan later this month.

rjinga

I've been top-less once so far (but today is looking pretty good). I'm down in GA so I really think I'll have the top more in the fall and spring than in the summer (too hot and afternoon rain pops up).

When the top is off, it sits on the frame I built. My 14 yo son, his friend, and I can put it on and off.

Attachments

cucv1833

Ive been running top off and like it. I now rigged up a 1 ton chain fall and a big grommet sling in my shop so i can take off and store and reinstall all by myself. I would also like to get some tube doors and install a small motor cycle mirror on the driver side door to accomadate local law. In La. they require 1 side mirror only.

jdeoliveira74

Just my roommate and i pull the top off no problems, neither of us are big guys by any means. I take the doors off by myself usually also. here are some pictures of how i usually keep it all summer.
hey what size tires are u running and i may steel the jack on the brush guard idea looks great!