• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque Converter on an M923A1

KaiserM109

Can anyone tell me what the secret to getting the torque converter back into the automatic transmission is? It was in place when I got the transmission, but it fell out while we were moving it around.

There are 2 sets of splines that have to be matched up and a square, like a 'double D' connector, clear in the back. I'm guessing that the splines opperate gears and the double D operates something like a pump. I can feel each of the splines mesh, one after the other, but it is still ~1" from going in. I believe that it is the 'douple D' that is not meshing. I can reach in with a small, flat screwdriver and easily turn the connector in the transmission.

We marked the position of the connector on the transmission and on the torque converter so that we can know if it's aligned, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

We went to the pull-out transmission and were able to take it out and put it back this way, twice.

????

Ddmk18

I know on cars we put them in as far as the go and spin it holding pressure on it and they usually drop back in the rest of the way. I have never done this particular trans though.

KsM715

yep, usually you slide it on till it stops, then keep pushing (just light pressure) and rotate it till you feel it slide back another notch.

:doh: check that. I just realized its for a 5ton. For some reason I had CUCV on the brain when I was reading.

Not sure what the proceedure is for the 5ton autos

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Yea like they said apply slight pressure while turning it and it will slide in.
That worked on the pull-out unit, twice, but not on the replacement unit. I felt it 'click' on the 2 sets of splines. It stops about 3/4" to 1" from going in far enough.

We had the transmission lifted and lined up when we realized we had a problem. We dropped it and pulled it out in order to get to it better.

Hoisting Transmission.jpgHoisting Transmission tail.jpg

5tonman1971

Sometimes they are just down right a huge PITA try taking the converter off and spinning the inside part of the converter and try again. Make sure that the end of the input shaft on the trans is free of debris and nicks. Sometimes you have to wiggle while spinning to get the end if the shaft to go in the last part of the converter.

KaiserM109

Sometimes they are just down right a huge PITA try taking the converter off and spinning the inside part of the converter and try again. Make sure that the end of the input shaft on the trans is free of debris and nicks. Sometimes you have to wiggle while spinning to get the end if the shaft to go in the last part of the converter.
I have been considering swapping torque converters, but there are at least 3 years different in age and they come from different models of trucks.

The other thing I am seriously considering is beveling the end of the center tube/shaft of the torque converter. I can see that it has been carefully balanced around the outside rim, but what I would do would be minor, symmetrical and close to the center of rotation.

RE Debris and nicks, we did inspect it for that and the replacement unit looks better than the pull-out. The pull-out has significant surface rust.

RE Wiggling and pushing, that’s tough but we have been doing that; the torque converter weighs somewhere around 75 – 100 lb. We marked both the torque converter and the housing so that we know, within a fraction of an inch, when they are lined up. The piece inside the transmission does move easily with a small screwdriver blade. We rotated it so that it was straight up and down to make them easier to align.

We won’t be working on it before next Saturday. My son is taking a scenic tour of Western Colorado with his girlfriend.

One thing, while I have it apart, how do I find out what the civilian equivelent of the front shaft seal is? It shows signs of having leaked and it is old enough, 24 years, to need replacing.

Last edited:

5tonman1971

You should be able to go to a heavy duty truck shop or semi truck service cdnter and give them the trans info and they should be able to get you the part you need. They will be able to get the correct part number by looking up the trans in the system. Your best bet would be to go to a service center that specialized in cummins and Allison

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks