• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque Multiplier wheel Wrench Help

Boatcarpenter

Reduction geared lug wrench

Sometime ago there was a post about a rescue mission for some old green iron where an old fella was talking about a reduction gear lug wrench. Don't remember any pics being posted of the tool so I'm posting to see if this is the item.

Wrong order AGAIN aua
No, wasn't wrong order after all :D

Attachments

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Reduction geared lug wrench

I used to use one of those in a rock quarry where I once worked as a mechanic for a short while. Mighty handy gadget to have when you can't get compressed air to the vehicle with a flat tire!

Barrman

That was probably me that wrote the post you saw 4 weeks ago. The OBA on my M715 blew a hose right behind the compressor and we had to pull all the outter rears off, some of the inners and both fronts. That reduction wrench saved the day.

The design of the thing makes it so you can remove the nuts for the outters with the tire in the air and the axle shafts pulled. The insert that fits the inner studs keeps the wheel from turning while you twist away on the outter nut. My truck hadn't been touched since 1981. I used a 18" pry bar to break every single lug loose and didn't really have to push all that hard either.

I got mine from another member who has been thanked many times already by me and the others involved in my recovery op.

Boatcarpenter

Hey davesgmc, I have no idea where to get one and if you found one, I'll bet plenty of $'s!!! I haven't been at this green stuff long, but I've never seen one in the poking around I've done.
BC

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've seen them on e-bay once in a while. Didn't think they were for 1 1/2 in. lug nuts.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those things are great but you have to be very, very careful when you use them. I lost an amazing amount of hide off of one hand when it got pinched in the gears.
You also have to make sure you have it seated square on the nut you are attempting to remove. If it gets canted it will pop off and mash any toes in range.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These were not Basic Issue Items that came with every truck.
When we needed one we had to check it out of the tool room.
If you lost it you had to sign a Statement of Charges.
They were not cheap and they had a bad habit of wandering off.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got one that works great. It fit's the 1 1/2 lugs on my M35 and M52. I also have a normal lug wrench. But i only use it as a tire billy.

m38inmaine

According to the PS Magazine article its called a wheel stud nut wrench, NSN 5120-00-378-441 and comes in the No.1 common shop tool set. I am missing the 3/4 diameter handle for mine. Anyone know how long its suppose to be?

Attachments

acetomatoco

The 30 inch bar is solid and is the same as the one that goes in the regular Budd Nut wrench... It is infact a torque multiplier wrench... but not a torque wrench as most folks know them... I have the bar new for $10 US Marked... plus UPS...from 05822. RAM

davesgmc

I found a similar tool in the NAPA tool catalog, part # spc 34543. spc 34545, and spc 34547. Not too cheap, but certainly do the job quite well and Very close in design to the mil-issue piece.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks