• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque Multiplying Lug Wrench

Memphisdoug

Can someone explain to me how these operate? I've looked in TM's, done searches on here and scratched my head but I can't figure it out. By looking at it, it seems to want to hold the hex nut in place while rotating the square nut when I want to do just the opposite. I figure I'm doing something wrong and this will be one of those slap my forehead moments when it's explained. I know about the RH and LH threads depending on the side of the truck so that's not a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Stalwart

They have a gear set inside that trades additional rotational energy and trades it for torque. Some have a 1:3 input to output ratio and I've seen some as high as 1:9. You can also stack them and multiply further. I just bought one with a 1: 3 ratio so I can torque my output yoke nut on the 3rd axle on the HEMTT to the 1000+ ftlb. required. I may also use it for my front lugnuts that require 600+ lbft. I use in conjunction with a 3/4" 42" long 600 lbft torque wrench.

stumps

You beat me to it!

One comment on the PS article, it is not OK to loosen the inner budd nuts before you loosen all of the outer hex nuts. If you do, you will damage your rim.

-Chuck

stumps

I found mine on ebay. You need to look at the auction carefully though because some of the ones listed only have one of the two bars included.

Quite true, but the smaller bar is just the same as the normal bar that goes with the standard deuce lug wrench... scarcely worth paying $50 extra to get a steel rod.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks