• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque rod/dogbone mod and removal

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any hardware store, it's a wood splitting wedge.

4 Lb Splitting Wedge at Menards

You should be able to pop the tapered shaft out by simply whacking the casting with a hammer. No need to pry at all..

Just use a large ball peen hammer and hit either of the points indicated by the 2 red arrows. One or two hits should do it.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do you get wedges like what is shown in post #1 (see pics below).

I have a truck I need to finish parting out.

Thanks

C
Looks like a regular log splitting wedge. (Go to a Stihl chainsaw dealer).

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do you get wedges like what is shown in post #1 (see pics below).

I have a truck I need to finish parting out.

Thanks

C
Think i got mine at northern tool. Not really necessary if you follow the TMs on where to pound on the bracket but can be helpful.

FL_Frank

The wood block and wedge method worked well for me - albeit with my personal lack of physical mass, replacing all 6 of my torque rods was the most difficult maintenance item so far.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wood block and wedge method worked well for me - albeit with my personal lack of physical mass, replacing all 6 of my torque rods was the most difficult maintenance item so far.
I have plenty of physical mass and it isn't muscle, and was the most difficult item for me too. I replaced all mine when one failed.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought 2 wedges at Northern, a short and a long. Only used the long.

As doghead said, most of the dogbones came out by just tapping them. The two uppers required the wedges.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
. I had to take the leaf spring top off.
Took a suggestion, use a small sledge held against the end/nut even with the end and smack the smaller sledge with a 10 or 12 lb sledge, they pop right out. Torque for all the rod nuts is350-400 ftlbs
This is VERY DANGEROUS, hitting HARDENED steel with HARDENED steel WILL result in flying sharp slivers, this is why cold chisels are softer then the hammer, easy to loose a eye, a vain/artery puncture, ect. with this pratice

Last edited:

wdbtchr

This is VERY DANGEROUS, hitting HARDENED steel with HARDENED steel WILL result in flying sharp slivers, this is why cold chisels are softer then the hammer, easy to loose a eye, a vain/artery puncture, ect. with this pratice
I got my wedges many years ago from a farm supply. Actually the wedges are fairly soft as they're designed to hit with a sledge hammer. They will squish over time and deform into a mushroom head, those need to be kept ground down because they WILL break off and get you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks