• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque Rod/Dogbone Replacement, the easy way

poof

Dirty Hippie
Revival Great Post.

This wright up seems to be the Easy Ticket for ease of removal..
any way Great post.with pictures. My bushing popped out this weekend..
you took great pictures and east to understand.. ( I need that part)

and a picture of my truck.

thanks J.P.

:grd:

Attachments

dittle

What the heck were you doing that you did this? Don't tell me Kenny and Greg fixed the CUCV and went mudding again.

dittle

What can I say, last time poof had deuce issues you guys were involved so I thought maybe something similar had happened again. :mrgreen:

poof

Dirty Hippie
OK well I went and pulled it all and Press it all back together... this will enable me to park it indoors.. Lord knows when I get the part and want to put it on.. It will either be Raining or snowing to beat all.. the nuts circled in RED are 1 1/8 inch... the one ( Green arrow)on back of the bushing that holds the dog bone on is? ... Bigger than I have in my tool box... will edit to ad size later..
J.P.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK well I went and pulled it all and Press it all back together... this will enable me to park it indoors.. Lord knows when I get the part and want to put it on.. It will either be Raining or snowing to beat all.. the nuts circled in RED are 1 1/8 inch... the one ( Green arrow)on back of the bushing that holds the dog bone on is? ... Bigger than I have in my tool box... will edit to ad size later..
J.P.

A temp fix that will last awhile is to weld a piece of flat bar stock to the bushing. It will hold the bushing inside the bone. Many people have done it that way.

I can't remember the nut size. I have a 1" socket set that goes up to 2 1/2". If I have a chance I will check and post the results.

poof

Dirty Hippie
A temp fix that will last awhile is to weld a piece of flat bar stock to the bushing. It will hold the bushing inside the bone. Many people have done it that way.

I can't remember the nut size. I have a 1" socket set that goes up to 2 1/2". If I have a chance I will check and post the results.

I was checking out the TM and read and saw all the instructiones.. how ever I wasnt /didnt see any tools list to do the job.. :( my TM are on Disc..
oh well
I will keep an eye out
J.P.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Is there a down side to doing this?
it seems as if doing the welding a tab on , would be a good/ extra safety..
I guess though the problem with worn out bushings would not get discovered if nothing changes in the ride..
but just seems like it would be better than the posibility of ripping the snot out of the drive train and break lines and driving into on comming traffic.. im not sure what Motion or steering action it takes to make the bone come off the ( worn out) bushing on that side. I was doing a slow left hand turn, on pavement.. straightened it out and went about 50 yards.. then the Horable noise..and pull to the right or left... dont remember..
Im thinking i might take the truck to the shop and have a Tab welded on each bushing..

even if I replaced all of them with new Bushings..
J.P.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was checking out the TM and read and saw all the instructiones.. how ever I wasnt /didnt see any tools list to do the job.. :( my TM are on Disc..
oh well
I will keep an eye out
J.P.
Later versions of TM list this size as 1-7/16" (just a shade under 1-1/2" I noticed as I put a 1-1/2" open-end wrench on the nuts on my truck, and there was a little play).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Most TMs do not give a tool list except for a very special tool, what it says is machancs tool set #1,#5, ect. YOU are supposed to know what tools are in what set. does not help much for us.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A strap or chain IS the TEMP fix for this event that is shown in FM 20-22

crazywelder72

This is a great thread for a numbskull like myself. Because of my lift and 6 53's, they relocated the 3rd axle about 8" to the rear. All the dogbones had to be cut and lengthened. They cut them in 1/2 and adding in a section of material. It looks ugly but it's been holding.

These are the dogbones that looks like round bar but I have unused other dogbones (I-beam style) and was thinking about stretching these in simmilar fassion. It would be harder to strech these due to their shape but they seem like better dogbones to instal.

I guess the question is should i modify the new ones, or just press out the bushings and use the existing dogbones.

Attachments

SuperJoe

crazywelder72 i am in the process of extending my I beam style rods currently. it will be a similar fashion to what you have pictured. i am glad to see that my idea is a proven one prior to my completion. also its nice to see similar ideas with no contact prior. with that what did you use for your lowest two springs in your pack? my spread will be closer to 10.5 inches but depending on what springs are available i may reduce that stretch. please PM me any info you can share.
thanks
Joe

hijack over; now a pertaining question: i understand rubber fatigue and bushing failure but how does the steel beam snap like that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks