• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque rod stud doesn't fit all the way into new rear trunnion opening

yolner

As part of my rear suspension rebuild I had to get a new NOS trunnion. Got it from easternsurplus and just now got to the point of getting torque rods installed. The issue I ran into is that the torque rod stud doesn't fit all the way into the trunnion (see attached pic). The stud fits into the axle brackets almost all the way, but there's like 3/8 of stud left when trying to insert it into the trunnion. I tried all 6 and had the same issue with all of them. I measured the torque rod studs at the base around the point where they fit into the axle brackets and they measure 1.325 while the opening in the trunnion measures 1.285.

Not sure if there's a problem with the trunnion or if they have to be honed to size when first installed. Right now only solution I see is hit it with a small brake hone until I get enough material removed for the stud to fit. Not sure if that's the right move though. Thoughts?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that if the taper dimensions on the new trunnion holes do not match your old trunnion, the new part was machined wrong! Honing it would take forever and a day.

yolner

Yeah I think you're probably right. Measured my old trunnion and the holes are 1.32" at the opening just like the axle brackets. Not too happy about paying $500 for a NOS part that's out of spec. I'm going to contact eastern about that next week, but I don't think I have any choice, but to spend a few hours with a hone opening those holes up another 0.035. Too deep into it at this point to do anything else.

yolner

Not much so far. Waiting to hear back from easternsurplus. Last I heard yesterday is that theyre having trouble finding the rest of their stock of trunnions in their warehouse to see if any more are out of spec. Hoping they make it right somehow, but I dont really want to have to take off and haul my trunnion all the way back to PA to swap it out. Would rather get some kind of store credit or partial refund from them and make this one work.

I will probably dedicate my afternoon tomorrow to seeing if I can get one of the holes honed out enough to stick a torque rod in. Started working on it some, but its sloooow going. If that works out, Ill keep going on the other 3 holes. Hoping I got enough replacement stones for my brake hone.

yolner

Well Im pretty sure Im SOL on the brake hone idea. The brake hone isnt precise enough to enlarge the tapered hole evenly while removing that much material. So the torque rod will either be loose if I take out too much material or it wont be able able to move freely because the hole is uneven.

So my project is screwed unless eastern has a properly machined trunnion hiding somewhere in their warehouse. Really disappointing :(

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These take out trunnions come available a lot when people do "bobbed deuces". I think I have one. You can have it, motor freight will cost you about $200.

yolner

Thanks for the offer! Let me see what eastern has to say next week first. Will get in touch with you if they don't have a properly machined replacement.

yolner

Yeah thats the problem. The taper isnt a standard size as far as Ive been able to figure out. So if they have to get a custom tool made the price will get crazy.

yolner

Awesome. Dont scrap that until I hear from eastern :)

EDIT: No real updates yet. Eastern let me know they're in the middle of a warehouse move, but are still looking.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks