• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque rods kicking my butt

rtadams89

Went back today and manged to drill and tap a 1/2-13 hole in one of the upper bushings. I attached a chain and a load binder and succeeded in bending the 1/2 inch bolt, but the bushing didn't budge. I also tried using a pickle fork and hammer on the threaded end while the whole thing was under load from the load binder; nothing moved. What's left to try? Drilling/cutting the whole thing out?

rtadams89

Well I finally got them out. I ended up having to do everything at once to get them to budge. I drilled/taped them for a 1/2 bolt, and used that along with some 3/8 chain and chain binder run across the frame to pull on them. At the same time, I rigged up a pickle fork/air hammer with some ratchet straps and bungee cords to vibrate everything. I also heated the socket, then dunked the exposed bushing end into some dry ice & rubbing alcohol. Finally, I beat on the threaded end with a 3/4 steel rod and a 15 pound hammer. Even with all that going at the same time, it still took 5 solid smacks with the hammer to finally get them to pop out. Looking at the bushings and sockets, they look immaculate and smooth; not sure what could have been holding them in so tightly.

rustystud

Well I finally got them out. I ended up having to do everything at once to get them to budge. I drilled/taped them for a 1/2 bolt, and used that along with some 3/8 chain and chain binder run across the frame to pull on them. At the same time, I rigged up a pickle fork/air hammer with some ratchet straps and bungee cords to vibrate everything. I also heated the socket, then dunked the exposed bushing end into some dry ice & rubbing alcohol. Finally, I beat on the threaded end with a 3/4 steel rod and a 15 pound hammer. Even with all that going at the same time, it still took 5 solid smacks with the hammer to finally get them to pop out. Looking at the bushings and sockets, they look immaculate and smooth; not sure what could have been holding them in so tightly.
That's the power of a tapered socket. Be sure to put "anti-seize" back on the new tapered shaft ends. I use "Marine" grade anti-seize. It doesn't wash off as easily as the other ones.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You certainly have the tenacity needed to wrestle 40 year old mechanics into submission! Glad you are on your way to finally finish the job.

rtadams89

Got the new bushings installed and all 6 rods replaced. Took her for a test drive and then rechecked all the torques on the bolts. Things seem to be working! Now I have a few used torque rods I need to get listed in the classifieds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks